Jobsworths.

I agree, but your last comment is worthy of the unlamented Dennis ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Obviously your experience - and not surprising if you act like your posts in the flesh.

They are similar places. And vary just as much.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You really are being stupid. Its the smokers that are antisocial.. they are the ones that want to pollute other peoples lives with their shit. If you think that is not anti social then you need to see a shrink.

Now for some of my opinion oif what I actually think of you and smokers ""

Reply to
dennis

I take it then you don't drive a car.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I take it then that it's being accused of being antisocial that offends you & that I am correct in the rest of the description?

Don.

Reply to
Cerberus .

Londn Ambulance staff are all issued with a custom made stab vest. They don't issue minor irritant masks :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

This story is banded about by the anti smoking lobby time & time again. Non smokers do contract lung cancer, but its an entirely different form of cancer that occurs in an entirely different part of the lung, It is medically & statistically impossible for Roy Castle to have died from passive smoking.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Passive smoke is a minor irritant like many other things that can trigger asthma attacks. It does not cause asthma.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Not anything like once. Catalytic convertors remove pretty well all of the poisonous CO - so you'd need it pretty well sealed so you suffocated through lack of oxygen.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Does a stab vest help if hit over the head with a beer bottle?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You can assume what you like. The fact that you have gone off on a stupid attack the messenger rather than attack the message proves I am right so you can go and cry in the corner for all I care.

Reply to
dennis

Tell that to the dead asthma suffers next of kin.

Electricity doesn't kill you, its the heart stopping that kills you is as good as an argument as yours and just as factual.

Reply to
dennis

LPG? Electric?

Reply to
Andy Hall

*Wrinkled was not one of the things I wanted to be when I grew up

Said Dave's sig. But...

Did anyone else see the prog last night on TV called Behind the shadow of the moon? I am a great fan of the film Apollo 13 and if you have the video, there is another hours worth on how they made the film after the credits have finished rolling. 20 years on, Jim Lovell looks quite young when he recalls his memories about that era, in that part of the video. But the rest of the astronaughts in the prog, last night, looked very old now. Thinking about it, they must have been well into their thirties at the time and that was in the period of 1969 to about 1962, so that will put them in their seventies now :-(

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Speaking as some one who was born with asthma and very nearly died because of it at an age of 4 years old, got rid of it at the age of 13. Developed bronchitis after that for ever since and became a smoker at 18 to about 35.

I can understand anyone complaining about cigarett smoke in the open.

Walking past a smoker outside, I can be smitten with the inability to breathe. This is not the only thing that locks up my lungs. Wife used to use a perfumed hair spray some years ago and when she used that before going to work, the smell from downstairs used to take my lungs away, as I lay in bed. When she changed to an un-perfumed version, I could stand at the side of her while she sprayed.

Went to our sons a few months ago and he has one of those room sprays that plug in and blast out a spray every once in a while. Last time I went, it had just sprayed the moment before I entered the room. I was left coughing an spluttering for over ten minuts after he turned it off.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I guess I count as a typical anti-smoker. I've never smoked, never even tried it. I used to hate the smell of it on my clothes after a pub visit and I still hate the (mild) effect it has on my breathing and eyes.

*But* - my other half smokes, away from me. Fair enough, there are enough good points about her that I can accept that.

And.. I used to be a definite believer in passive smoking. Until somebody on Usenet argued with me about it in a more sane and scientific way than I'd seen before, and persuaded me to look for the evidence.

When you actually look with an open mind, there *isn't* any evidence that it's seriously harmful. Sure it's a nuisance and it's an irritant, but so is strong perfume. Want to ban that?

I haven't seen anything convincing about passive smoking causing the same sorts of issues smokers suffer from. And I *wanted* to find them, to prove Random Usenet Bloke wrong. I couldn't.

There's as much spin and FUD on both sides of it as there is about global warming so you need to dig through it all to find good independent sources, but I really couldn't find anything conclusive. Try it.

I still don't like smoking at all for lots of reasons, but passive smoking is no longer on that list.

I'm still open to *anything* conclusive. It'll need to be way above the level of argument I've seen on this thread so far, though.

Reply to
PCPaul

a working cat. people have attempted suicide using the exhaust from a car with a cat and they die of boredom or starvation first.

Reply to
dennis

I would as a customer in a shop expect to be able to ask the staff for advice on the various products available. Especially if they were expensive ones.

In the case of a cigar shop, no non-smoker can give first-hand advice on the product. Therefore I would expect all the staff to be cigar smokers.

If they are smokers themselves then the extra risk from the smoke in the air will be negligible. (not zero, as a quick google on "passive smoking" will show).

Therefore there is no reason not to permit smoking in a cigar shop.

BTW - do you know any teetotal barmen?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

You didn't look far..

here are a few papers debunking the "evidence" that passive smoking is not dangerous that the smokers like to keep quoting.

you have read all the papers you can come back and tell us if you have changed your mind.

Reply to
dennis

You missed the "-- " from your sig. You should have put

"-- idiot"

Reply to
dennis