Is my floor breathing?

I've just removed several decades of carpets/lino/newspaper etc from what my wife affectionately terms "the damp room". I knew there was a damp-proof membrane underneath the carpets (the only room with one in the house), and expected to find a concrete slab underneath that. After scraping off the brittle bitumen and cloth layer, I instead discovered an almost complete quarry tiled floor, laid on the ground beneath. I reckon it is the original floor from when our "damp room" was the entire ground floor of a cottage (only 10' wide).

The room seems to be in the process of losing it's bone-shuddering chill and taking on a warm and welcoming atmosphere. This was noticeable within hours of removing the membrane. The tiles were damp initially, they seem bone-dry now. Dare I say it, but the walls seem to be drying out.

I had planned to excavate the ground floor throughout the house installing insulation etc, but am now having second thoughts. There is no dpc in most of the house. The walls are 2' thick ironstone with no dpc. In the more modern part of the house there is a dpc (but no cavity) and the stone beneath is looking knackered.

Perhaps I should do things the old-fashioned way, but then I'll have building regs after me, but I don't want to live in a damp smelly house ...

LGF

Reply to
legrandfromage

Quarry tiles were always used as a damp proof membrane due to there non-porus nature. You may well find there is still damp there if you use a damp meter and measure between each quarry tile.

Reply to
Werty

If it's drying out nicely I'd just leave it alone except for a good scrub - caustic soda perhaps if theyre scruffy? . Building regs don't make you do new work if you don't want to, but they control it if you do (if you tell them!)

Reply to
jacob

In the more modern part of the house there is a dpc (but no

You could get a surveyor in if you intend to do some floor renovation.

An old stone on earth-floor cottage would also have had a lot of draught. Not least among them, updraught from a vast chimney. There would have been no other heating apart from the kitchen stove of course. And maybe a copper heater in the outhouse for washing on Mondays.

They did not have much of a smell or damp problem and their owners/tennants were likely to be outdoor workers with much more durability than the modern crop of cottage dweller.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer