carpets on wood floor

Just recently moved house and all the ground floor has that cheapo wood flooring that interlocks. Is it ok to carpet (plus underlay) on top of the wood?

Also what sort of clearance required for bottom of room doors for carpet and underlay.

Reply to
SS

Absolutely fine.

How long is Mr String... It depends. You really need a sample of both to gauge the door with. Perosnally, I'd unscrew the door, carpet, then trim the door and finish with a plane (watch out for pins) until it works.

Reply to
Tim Watts

It would be easier to rip it all up, treat it as a pre-existing nasty crappy carpet. Then, you'll also get rid of all those messy gaps and quert-rounds around the edges where they're bodged up against the skirting or doorframes.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

"Then, you'll also get rid of all those messy gaps and quert-rounds around the edges where they're bodged up against the skirting or doorframes"

Ha ha, you got it, its not even a decent DIY job.

Reply to
SS

"Tim Watts" wrote

Personally I'd be inclined to take it up. If you have any problems under the floor (like leaks etc) it would be easier to lift carpet in the affected area than lift carpet and laminate floor for access. Also the floors are designed as "floating" generally and can move. The only issue will be the point where floor meets skirting and how this can be rectified.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Doors just need to open without scraping the carpet, no further clearance needed.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Unless the original floors are in a very poor condition which would necessitate boarding over before carpeting, I'd take it up.

Depends on the thickness of carpet and underlay, surprisingly. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If the laminate isnt glued, taking it up makes it usable elsewhere, or maybe saleable.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

I'd not buy it new let alone secondhand. Perhaps Freecycle?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's at times like this that Andy Hall's views on laminate flooring and carpets are missed.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

nor me. Some folks pay good money for it though.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

I'd just say he's sadly missed, period.

Laminate flooring not only look fake but sounds it too. A sort of latter day linoleum. If anyone remembers the fake wood versions of that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I know a guy in Surrey who laid laminate over his hallway and dining room parquet flooring. I did agree that it looked good when he asked me as he owed me £2000 for the rewire I had just done. It was not a white lie, it was a big paid for lie.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

nor me. Some folks pay good money for it though.

Looks like ebay beckons then. I just hope its not glued. :-)

NT

Reply to
SS