Is it possible to buy a cheap house?

A mate of mine looked at that a couple of years back... worked out 'kin expensive to put it anywhere useful.

Reply to
John Rumm

This would seem to tick all the boxes apart from lack of planning:

previous attempts at planning permission (planning.ashford.gov.uk, ref

06/00531/AS and 04/02215/AS) were inconclusive.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

You can often build an annex such as a granny flat. You will probably not be able to separate them as distinct properties though to sell one or rent it out independently. You could possibly rent rooms to a lodger though.

Reply to
John Rumm

April, they haven't had their first winter yet... I hope they have some strong ropes to tie their mobile home down with or it might get rather more mobile than they want.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

And the winter nights are very long, too.

Reply to
S Viemeister

interesting history "

As what? A wall?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Someone posted this a long while ago, which goes into case law of what has been allowed on the grounds of "incidental use" - incoluding some fairly vast "games rooms".

geraldthehamster

I was looking round last year, and you can buy a reasonable semi-detached house in a cheap area for less than the cost of a decent houseboat, without the ridiculously inflated mooring charges and all the other charges you'll end up paying for a residential mooring, which, incidentally, have very little security of tenure and can't be sold on.

That depends very much on local condition. In some places 80% of the value of the boat is in the mooring and it most definitely can be sold on

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Fri 14 Oct 2011 13:18:19 BST Initial entry found.

Tue 24 Jan 2012 20:04:06 GMT Brief Description changed: RESIDENTIAL USE NOW APPROVED!! A rare opportunity to purchase a detached and self contained studio home with development potential. This charming brick and flint Grade II listed building boasts an interesting history and has been completely renovated to an extremely high standard AND NOW HAS RE... Price changed: from 'Guide Price £79,950' to 'Guide Price £69,950'

Sun 01 Jul 2012 21:19:47 BST Brief Description changed: CURRENTLY TENANTED AND OFFERED FOR SALE TO INVESTMENT BUYERS!! A rare opportunity to purchase a detached and self contained studio home with development potential. This charming brick and flint Grade II listed building boasts an interesting history and has been completely renovated to an extrem...

Sun 05 Aug 2012 16:01:47 BST Price changed: from 'Guide Price £69,950' to 'Guide Price £63,500'

A classic "bubble" property.

In most locations it is of a size that would be worth about 20K and this wouldn't be worth converting from its (probable) previous use as a "store" to residential accommodation.

But in a desirable area when the market is booming and where there is a premium for "pretty" properties it just about works out.

And then the boom dies!

tim

Reply to
tim.....

e is holiday homes, and they all appear to have living restrictions. For in= stance, you can't live in them permanently because the site they're on clos= es in the winter. Or you must have another main permanent residence in the = UK. Do "shacks" exist? I need one with mains water, electricity, and phone.= Having to pay ground rent is OK, but some of those holiday park homes char= ge thousands of pounds per year, for some kind of pitch fee / service charg= e. I appreciate my request is general, but I'm just searching for general a= nswers at the moment. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks a l= ot.

Boat?

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

ee is holiday homes, and they all appear to have living restrictions. For = instance, you can't live in them permanently because the site they're on cl= oses in the winter. Or you must have another main permanent residence in t= he UK.

Having to pay ground rent is OK, but some of those holiday park homes char= ge thousands of pounds per year, for some kind of pitch fee / service charg= e.

swers at the moment. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks a = lot.

If you work on land that needs accommodation there (such as a farmhouse etc= ), you may get special dispensation from planning, and it might have condition= s. There was the guy on Grand Designs who worked in a wood - not sure if he ow= ned it - and his job was tending to the trees in some manner that was susta= inable (i.e. he did not just chop it all down and do himself out of a job != ) He was allowed to build a "shack" there, and was allowed to live in it lega= lly with services connected etc, but he was not allowed to sell it. Maybe such a situation could be engineered to suit your desired lifestyle ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I don't know if they have done it yet, but tie downs for it was certainly on the to do list.

Reply to
chris French

Hi,

OP - whilst it's none of our business what you want to do or why you want to do it, it would help if you could tell us, as I am not sure what you are asking and judging from the replies, neither is anyone else.

I can't imagine that anyone would want to rent a house for 11 months of the year; where would they live for the one month you wanted to move in, and would they have to take their belongings with them for that month and bring them back later?

Theo's suggestion of a student let is the only way around that problem but it would force you to move in during the summer and as Tim has said above, your holiday home is likely to be closed in November or February which would not be compatible with this.

Could you not live in the home for eleven months and live with family or friends or a hotel or B&B for the remaining month?

Colin made an interesting suggestion: you could live abroad for that month and enjoy some summer sun.

Do you have family whose address you could give as your registered address?

At first I thought you wanted to live in the middle of nowhere but you could buy a house in the middle of nowhere.

You have talked about buying a house and living in the garden. Whilst renting the house would bring you income, others have already pointed out problems with that. Why not live in the house yourself and build a shed in the garden? You could spend as much time in the shed as you chose and to the outside world, they would assume you lived in the house.

Reply to
Fred

There are plenty of people that would happily take an 11 month term

NT

Reply to
NT

Exactly. Sounds to me like someone has just returned from holiday with a pipe-dream that they could live like that all year round.

Reply to
djc

There are plenty of people that would happily take an 11 month term

Oh I'm sure that there are.

But the point is that you are not (strictly) allowed to use such a property as a main home, it is meant to be used as a "second or holiday" home only (either for use by the owner and/or rented out to a succession of occupiers for the investment return).

The 11 month rule is a (not very good) way of enforcing the underlying condition, it's not an end in itself.

tim

Reply to
tim.....