Insulating a steel bath

I'm fitting a new steel bath. I'm tempted to try and add some thermal insulation around it inside the unit with either celotex, fibreglass or perhaps a bit of both. Am I likely to suffer problems with moisture or condensation if I pack the space around the bath with fibreglass?

Reply to
John Carlyle-Clarke

I always pack the space under the bath with roof insulation (fibreglass). It does seem to help keep the water warm. I've never had any condensation problems in doing it over 20 years.

I've always wondered why they don't spray the underside with insulation like hot water cylinders.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Might cause the occupant to linger longer than what they should;),....

Reply to
tony sayer

Because insulation on a steel bath is less useful than insulating a plastic bath.

The "cold bath" problem with steel (or iron!) baths isn't because of increased conductivity through them and out the other side, but it's because of the metal's much greater heat _capacity_, internal to the material itself. It takes energy to bring the tub itself up to temperature, but once it is than they're no colder than a plastic bath. Provided that air circulation around them isn't excessive (adequately boxed in, no cold draughts around pipework) then your losses for a reasonable time of bath shouldn't be excessive. It's a whole different situation to long-term steady-state losses.

First thing to check is draughts where pipes go under the floor. That's the real heat leak.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Don't think it makes any difference. My brother "expanding foamed" round his steel bath (watch out you don't embed the plumbing) hoping that the insulation would make a difference. It doesn't, which is probably why steel baths are not supplied coated with insulating foam.

He did find low voltage heating kits that could be stuck to steel baths, but I think they have to be fitted before the bath is installed.

Reply to
Ian_m

I suspect you'll find the proportion of heat lost through the base/sides into what's usually a pretty enclosed space under the bath is probably completely insignificant compared with what's lost from the water surface.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

If you wanna save money - have a shower instead

Reply to
geoff

Installing a CH radiator under (and in contact with steel bath) can be a cosmetically acceptable way of providing additional heating in the bathroom as well as prewarming the bath itself.

Reply to
robert