Insulating a steel bath?

ok, fiddling about fitting, waste and feet etc. to a steel bath, pondered whether it would be worth insulating it - squirty foam?

Though I'm thinking that with a big surface area on top, and an enclosed space below it maybe isn't worth the effort?

Reply to
chris French

Metal baths do go cold noticeably quicker than plastic. Foam sounds a messy hassle though. Maybe thin sheet polystyrene or glue & fibreglass. Or just stuff the space with fibreglass.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Not worth the effort. There is no appreciable energy saving, maybe a small gain in comfort.

Squirty foam won't stick to the underside of horizontal surfaces. Not even much good on vertical surfaces. Just rolls off.

Reply to
harryagain

In article , chris French writes

I think it's worth a go, although there's a lot of heat loss from evaporation I'm sure there is quite a bit going through the walls of the bath too but less significant if you have a conventional 1st floor bathroom without cold draughts passing under the bath.

I would consider stuffing the space with one of the bagged fibreglass products, bagged to avoid any possible release of fibres to the bathroom, or rockwool. I had considered expanding foam myself but it is not closed cell so would absorb water from any leak, safer to have something easily removable if needs be.

Reply to
fred

In message , harryagain writes

Comfort would probably be worth it.

The bath is not yet installed, I could easily turn it over to apply the foam.

Reply to
chris French

In message , fred writes

Hmm, good point.

But stuffing with the encased insulation is probably easier/cheaper anyway

Thanks

Reply to
chris French

chris French wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@blackhole.familyfrench.co.uk:

First - ensure there are no draughts due to holes around the drain pipes. If the area under the bath is at room temberature then there shouldn't be much of a problem.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

There is little point in insulating just the bath, do the walls, floor and ceiling. Keep the room warm and the bath will stay warm too.

Can't beat a very long hot soak in a bath made of metal, topped up with hot water from a big cylinder, via fully lagged pipes. None of this moulded plastic crap, combi boilers and a hour to partly fill a bath with lukewarm water.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Having had both I'd say the modern plastic bath gives a better experience. Pretty they're not, but they don't keep going cold.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

My B-i-L used a 60w light bulb under the bath in the winter.

Reply to
charles

Notice the word "Used".

Just the Once ??

Baz

Reply to
Baz

In message , The Other Mike writes

Whilst looking at bathroom stuff, we came across system that had a heater to circulate the bath water through to keep it at the required temp

Reply to
chris French

I'm thinking gunk buildup

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Inefficient it may be but one of joys of an open fire we keep in case electric ever fails is the extremely hot water created by its back boiler. So hot the tap makes that smell that hot metal gives off,then a skin wrinkling soak with plenty in reserve. The modern immersion with its limited temp isn't a patch on it.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

+1