Installing condensing tumble dryer

Well I don't actually have one yet, but I want to get the utility room ready for one. What do they need? I'm guessing power, a cold water feed (with a conventional washing machine 'tap'?) and a standpipe with u-bend to drain into (can they share the same one as the washing machine?).

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

Martin Pentreath explained :

Usually they can share the same outlet, but it depends upon each appliances output volume. The condensing dryers output will usually be much less than that of a washer on its drain cycle.

You used to be able to get screw on 'Y' connectors for the cold feed, but a proper separate feed is not that difficult to add.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Most dont use a cold water feed

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Ours does....

Others must use a chiller system then, but that sounds an expensive option.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Good ventilation - even the best emit quite a lot of water vapour to the room and many throw out more than a litre a load into the atmosphere.

Reply to
Peter Parry

No, just room temperature air. Ours is a Bosch condensing dryer, but it drains into a removable tank so doesn't need anything other than electricity.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Just a 13A socket is actually required.

Most (usually those with the condensate drawer at the top) will also use a drain outlet as an option. You may get the bits included for this, or may need to buy an expensive manufacturer option pack.

The drain outlet required will be of the same type used by a washing machine. They can either take a standpipe, or a spigot on an existing trap (i.e. under sink). You could cheat like me and squeeze the pipe into the washing machine standpipe, though. ;-P

I would avoid any dryer that required a water inlet like the plague. It is an atrocious use of resources, commonly used by low quality washer dryers.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

So better quality washer driers make their own washing water by condensing then? (sorry)

Reply to
Nick Atty

Not really, don't use that much water and certainly use much less electricty than just plain condensing tumble driers.

Reply to
Ian_m

The water usage on some models is absolutely criminal. To dry 5kg expect around 100 litres of water.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle