Installing a vented tumble dryer

Luckily my tumble dryer (once purchased) can sit aside an external wall in the utility room. Question is, how do I bore a hole through the wall of reasonable size? I'm handy with a drill, but the last vented dryer I saw required a hole around 6 - 9 inches in diameter!

Reply to
Bear

You can get brick-shaped vents as well as round ones. They usually have an adapter to fit a round hose on the internal side and either a brick shape or square external vent.

Reply to
chunkyoldcortina

Wow - didn't know that. So basically just crack the plaster, locate a brick or two to remove and fit?

Reply to
Bear

Chain drill it. IOW drill a series of small holes in a circle of the appropriate size, then break out the middle with a bolster & hammer.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Cheers - will give it a go

Reply to
Bear

Just to revive an age old argument before purchase - vented or condenser?

Reply to
Bear

What's the wall made of? For putting our dryer into the basement, I used an SDS drill and combination of foot-long 1/2" drill and foot-long 1" wide chisel bit to go through the 9" or so of concrete; I drilled a series of holes along the perimeter of the intended opening (around 1" apart) and then used the chisel bit to clear everything out.

Not sure I'd fancy doing that with brick, though - too much vibration maybe.

For wooden walls / plasterboard just drill a pilot hole and use a jigsaw...

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Sadly it's world war two bunker concrete!

Reply to
Bear

Yup.

Many years ago I bought a tumble dryer vent kit from homebase or b&q which contained hose, one of these adapters, rectangular rigid ducting to go through the wall, and external flapped vent. All it needed in addition was a bit of duct tape. The tumble dryer was in an external single-skin outhouse converted to a utility room so it took all of about 45 mins with a bolster chisel and hammer to chisel out a brick, fit the external vent, cut the duct to length and fit the internal adapter. Painted all exposed brick with dilute PVA and then I filled in around the gaps with mastic which also adhered everything to the wall. Used duct tape to fix the hose to the adapter and to the tumble dryer outlet. Robert's your mother's brother.

If you have a double-skin wall you can get flexible rectangular ducting should the bricks not be totally aligned.

Various standalone bits & pieces here

{9372182}&fh_refview=search&fh_search=rectangular+duct&fh_refpath=facet_159016185&fh_eds=%C3%9F&ts=1280421054469

Reply to
chunkyoldcortina

Get yerself a good SDS, then... it'll knock through it reasonably quickly (ours is about 9" with reinforcing metal in it). It took me about an hour to do mine, but a fair bit of that was measuring because I knew where I wanted the hole horizontally on the inside, and where I wanted it vertically on the outside, and there was bugger-all to use as a reference (with hindsight it probably would have been quicker to just drill a reference-point hole *somewhere* in the wall and cement it closed afterwards).

(if you don't have a big SDS and don't fancy buying one, some of the half- day rental rates aren't bad - or at least they aren't here)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

A better answer is dont. Sorry but you've made the wrong purchase. A vented TD will probably cost you more over its life that it would to bin it and get a condensing dryer

NT

Reply to
NT

Maybe it's a gas one though? ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

pssst

"Luckily my tumble dryer (once purchased) "

"Just to revive an age old argument before purchase - vented or condenser?"

were the OP's clues you omitted to read/understand before your usual helpful response.

Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K