Medium-term planning for boiler replacement

My house is heated by a combi which is installed in the downstairs loo. The loo itself has no external wall, so the flue goes via a small adjacent lobby to the outside (it's boxed in, about two metres long altogether). A visiting builder has told me that when I come to replace it (hopefully a good few years off) new rules mean I'll have to get building control in from the local council who will tell me where I'm allowed to put my new boiler, and it's current location will not be an option. I think he's suggesting that it has to be installed on an external wall.

Is this right? It will be a pain in the arse to put it anywhere else and could involve some major dispution to the plumbing. If this is true I'm thinking of relocating it now while I've got some work going on to save disruption in the future.

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

The builder is talking a lot of crap. He should still to laying screeds.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

This sounds like erroneous advice based on conflating several changes in regulations.

1) From 1/4/5 it will be necessary to fit condensing boilers unless to do so is technically very difficult ( I doubt it would be in your case). 2) From 1/4/5 replacing or removing heat producing appliances is notifiable to building control.
Reply to
Ed Sirett

With a flue that length, you must have a fan flued boiler. You will have to replace it with a condensing boiler but unless the external flue is in a position which contravenes current regs this should not be a problem

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

Where does the flue exit? With a condensing boiler the plume of mist it produces may be a nuisance and make the present location undesirable.

(If it discharges towards a public highway or neighbour's property less than 1.2 metres(IIRC) away it shouldn't be there anyway.)

Reply to
John Stumbles