Injet printer cartridge refills

I've tried the Staples gloss and matt with reasonable results on a Samsung (550 I think) (tho' that machine seems to have probs with reds)

Reply to
JTM

Thanks, my wife holds a pixima for the local Beaver Scout group, next time she gets it out to use I'll take a look.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Thanks for the advice, I've ever done it the once.

And I can't see me using the laser again for colour prints.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I can also recommend this printer. However I have never had any problems with it disappearing from the LAN ..... yet ;-) It works with Windows and Linux too.

Life's too short to faff around with inkjet printers IMHO. I have never had much success with refill kits and "compatible" cartridges for my HP and Epson printers.

Mark

Unfortunately inkjet printers need to be used frequently and this policy may lead to loads of hassle unclogging jets etc.

Reply to
Mark

ITYM they need to be kept plugged in and on standby. They will then perform cycles to prevent the heads drying out, this does use ink and will empty the carts after a year or three. Mine uses about 3W of electricity in standby but that is very low for a networked printer so I can't complain too much.

I expect that some old printers used so much power in standby you could buy a new one from the savings.

Reply to
dennis

Not heard that before, none of my injets have done that to my knowledge and there is nothing the manual. These are now old printers mind, both Epson a Stylus Color II and Sylus Photo Color 890. Maybe the makers are catching on to this major drawback with infrequent use of an inkjet?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I've got it working from OS/2 Warp 3 as well but not really for colour unless you only have 8 bits/pixel colour.

Agreed.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Maybe they have people detectors to make sure they only do it when you aren't there. Maybe its only all in ones, mine are AIO except for the Stylus colour 1510 and I don't leave that on. Maybe you are correct and they didn't do it on old ones. I think a straw poll is called for, it will be more fun than impossible physics. ;-)

Reply to
dennis

On some you are correct.

However my Canon ip4300 stands up to being left alone for months at a time, and never to date (touch wood) has clogged up beyond the printers programme to do a short blast through with a cleaning cycle. Hassle is when that cleaning cycle fails on something like my old Epson Photo 750 (sitting buried in landfill somewhere between a mouldy packet of crisps and a decomposing rat...)

Reply to
Adrian C

The Dell 1320C is pretty hot at the moment, 70quid + VAT is findable and a full set of 1500 page compatible carts can be had from consumable cafe for 53quid + VAT, quite a lot less than the HP.

It's what I would recommend for a low volume networked laser these days.

Reply to
fred

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "dennis@home" saying something like:

After years of Epson cartridge/printhead torture, I finally binned them and bought an HP a few years ago. This needs just the occasional use to keep things freed up nicely, and I set a manual reminder to print a small full-colour image once a month. The cost is negligible.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Where can I get one for £70 + VAT?

Reply to
Bob Martin

Depending on what value you put on the toner cartridges ...

Andy Burns

Looks promising, but..

From the lack of other information on Dell's website, it looks like a WinPrinter. No mention of printer language (PCL or PostScript) so usable only with Windows.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I am lead to believe it's a rebadged Fuji Xerox DocuPrint C525A and works fine with Macs and Penguins.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Ah, I'll investigate further. I have a Xerox DocuPrint inkjet here that I want to replace. That has been 100% reliable, and is PostScript.

Not that I want it to work with a Max *or* a Penguin...I have Beasties!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Using google image search for the different models seems to show more of a likeness (specifically the cartridges) to a docuprint C1100, but they seem to use different model numbers in different parts of the world ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Xerox seem into HBPL rather than any other PDL, so I think they're a non- starter. They actually provide a Linux driver..

Reply to
Bob Eager

The Xerox C1110 speaks PCL (and the networked versions speak PS) as well as HBPL

it seems the software on the Dell version is chopped down to be a WinPrinter only

unless you fancy trying to flash it with FujiXerox firmware ...

Reply to
Andy Burns