in praise of electromagnetism....

Aha, I get it, uk.d-i-y is in fact a sub-franchise of "Grumpy Old Men".

Pen

Reply to
pen

You've got it right. 3 out of 3 in my case. Take care if you do a similar appraisal with a group containing Ophelia though. A hairy arsed, scar faced, one armed Javanese sailor pounding the keys there, or I'm a Dutchman.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

As I have said here before... the degree of nastiness is in directly inverse proportion to the size of the poster's penis:)) You do seem to fit the bill Hans.. oooops sorry, it's Mike isn't it :))

smooochies

Ophelia xxxx

Reply to
Ophelia

"Rissole" (sp?). Not Pen.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Rissole? Which archeological dig unearthed you?

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

You're too generous.

Don't get yourself worked up there. You know you'll be in for a disappointment, no matter how low your expectations are. ;-)

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

My pleasure O!:-))))))))

Il e'tait grilheure; les slictueux toves Gyraient sur l'alloinde et vriblaient: Tout flivoreux allaient les borogoves; Les verchons fourgus bourniflaient.

«Prends garde au Jabberwock, mon fils! A sa gueule qui mord, à ses griffes qui happent! Gare l'oiseau Jubjube, et laisse En paix le frumieux Bandersnatch!»

Le jeune homme, ayant pris sa vorpaline épée, Cherchait longtemps l'ennemi manziquais... Puis, arrivé près de l'Arbre Tépé, Pour réfléchir un instant s'arrêtait.

Or, comme il ruminait de suffêches pensées, Le Jabberwock, l'oeil flamboyant, Ruginiflant par le bois touffeté, Arrivait en barigoulant.

Une, deux! Une, deux! D'outre en outre! Le glaive vorpalin virevolte, flac-vlan! Il terrasse le monstre, et, brandissant sa tête, Il s'en retourne galomphant.

«Tu as donc tué le Jabberwock! Dans mes bras, mon fils rayonnois! O jour frabieux! Callouh! Callock!» Le vieux glouffait de joie.

Il e'tait grilheure; les slictueux toves Gyraient sur l'alloinde et vriblaient: Tout flivoreux allaient les borogoves; Les verchons fourgus bourniflaient.

Tr. Henri Parisot

Reply to
graham

Reply to
Ophelia

Following up to pen

I did, try reading what I said instead of whining about "people called Mike". If you want to say something to me say it to me. It

*appeared* like an ad, we had another one recently.

Neither did the ad, they were pushing induction generally.

it was called "induction cooking-online information resource" so a Google of this group for "induction" would find it.

just be a bit less over sensitive. If you pop up saying how great induction is there is going to be a risk people think its an ad, just say it isn't and get on with it.

Reply to
The Reid

Following up to pen

remember, you crossposted, (another reason people suspect spammers). so you may not be talking to d-i-y.

Reply to
The Reid

Following up to Ophelia

I try to be a rude-boy but no one ever believes me :-(

Reply to
The Reid

Following up to Tom Anderson

Reply to
The Reid

Cross-posting is entirely correct under the right circumstances. These do not normally include posting of drivel inappropriate to all groups in the posting list.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Following up to Chris Bacon

I quite agree and it can give you some cross fertilisation of ideas. But it does set spam alarm bells.

Reply to
The Reid

Yes, when you remove a pan it cuts power, beeps and then shuts off if you do not replace the pan.

I was surprised at the success of the voodoo (hence my experiments) I suspect the field is circular centered under the pan and therefore there is little stray field.

I belive it operates at a higher frequency to keep the coils size small. The bulk of the unit consists of solid state devices and their heatsinks, the coils are fairly thin.. The faint sound seems to be much higher, although it may be a harmonic. Someday when I am bored, I will measure the operating frequency and report back.

Remove SPAMX from email address

Reply to
Jim Michaels

Au Contraire, I am known as a safety fanatic.

It is extremely rare to burn yourself in the normal (or even careless) use of an induction hob since utensils, the upper sides of the pan (above the level of the contents), the lid, and the handle all stay relatively cool.

There is virtually no fire hazard since only the bottom of the pan gets hot and it is only slightly hotter than the contents, this presents no source of ignition even if grease is being vaporized.

There is a thermal sensor under the glass to shutdown operation if a pan (empty or charred food) is getting unreasonably hot.

I have a routine for visitors who have never seen an induction Hob. First I place a 1/4" thick newspaper or magazine on the HOB. Then I place a pan with a 1/2" of cold water on top of the paper. Next, I set the control to high. The visitor is very confused when the water begins to boil in about minute.

Once the water is at a full boil I ask the visitor if they trust me, If they answer in the affirmative, I then ask them to extend their hand, I then slip the pan of boiling water and the paper off the hob and place their palm on the cold hob.

Once their power of speech returns, I am forced to give the WHOLE explanation of induction heating.

Note: The paper prevents the heat from the pan from warming the glass surface. Remove SPAMX from email address

Reply to
Jim Michaels

That I can understand!!!

I am forced to give the WHOLE

It is fascinating I must admit, but you won't tempt me away from my gas hob:)

Ophelia

big snip

Golly! What a fun-packed experience your visitors have(endure) ... :)

Do you do the 'bunny', "flapping bird", "swan", silhouettes on the wall to demonstrate the efficacy of electric lights, too ... :) ?

Can you supply your lat/long so we can program the data into our Sat-Navs as 'Avoid Area'?

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Following up to Jim Michaels

one of my routine cooking methods is a dry heated cast iron griddle on which I cook fish and seafood, would the cutout stop this high temperature cooking? I'm not sure what the temperature might be, above 130C at a guess.

Reply to
The Reid

It doubt it.

The thermal cutout is to prevent a pan from melting (in the 1000C neighborhood ) since it is under the glass top there is considerable insulation and thermal lag relative to the pan and I assume it is set much higher than 100C.

You could always add a 1/4" thick insulator under the pan (a tile from the space shuttle would be superb) and then you should have no trouble heating the empty pan cherry red. Remove SPAMX from email address

Reply to
Jim Michaels