Immersion heaters

Does anybody know if these are available in anything higher than 3kW. I realise a higher power one will need a suitable circuit installed but a faster heat-up time is needed. Alternatively has anybody seen a HW tank with two holes for heaters ?

Reply to
Mike

There are certainly tanks with two heater holes. Normally the top one is for quick reheat, but only the smaller volume of water at the top, and the bottom one is for a slower heat, typically on a cheap nighttime tarrif. They are usually both 3kW though.

What is the circumstance where you want a quick reheat, and do you need the whole tank reheating? Maybe a larger tank or higher set temperature would be an option (what temperature is it set to now?)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yes, or you can buy a hole saw. If you're going for multiple heaters, put short horizontal ones near the bottom. Top mounted ones are not only less effective, but bump into each other.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

It's set to highest temperature but as hot water is only needed very occasionally I don't want to keep it warm all the time so most of the time it will be coming from cold. The dual heater tank would be fine - do you have any idea where I can get one ?

Many thanks.

Reply to
Mike

Someone else can hopefully -- I would try asking in a plumbers merchant. I've seen them installed, but not tried to buy one.

However, can you give more idea what this is being used for, both in terms of why only very occasionally, and what consumes the hot water when it does? There may be a better solution, such as an instant water heater. Also, is this in a home, or somewhere else? Are any fuels other than electricity available?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Is it in a position where you could add extra insulation?

200-400mm of loft insulation helps lots to reduce energy loss.
Reply to
Ian Stirling

If you really have an occasional need for hot water (i.e. in a holiday cottage), an instantaneous electric heater might be best. Unfortunately, this is only practical if you have 3 phase. In the unlikely event you do (i.e. you have it because you already have electic heating) you can get a

24kW electric heater which will provide instant and efficient hot water for washing up and showers (even an occasional bath if you're patient). It stores no energy at all, so no need to keep a cylinder hot, or wait for it to heat up. It acts effectively like a small gas combi boiler.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I was imagining a village hall, but it would be useful if the poster said what the circumstance is. There are 3kW and 10kW ones available for single phase supply. 3kW is OK for a wash-hand basin, and 10kW will be fine for a kitchen sink.

Then there are the 10 litre (IIRC) stored water ones, 3kW. They work in a light use kitchen sink, but obviously can't handle continuous use without running cold. Vented ones aren't suitable for a wash-hand basin (water's too hot, and they can't be used with blending valves).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

All part L compliant cylinders seems to be supplied with 2 immersion holes.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

It's outside in an unheated barn. We need a lot of hot water for use on the farm only occasionally so something that heats up quickly when needed would be ideal. I looked at in-line water heaters but the ones that are more than

3kW always seem a lot more expensive than a cheap tank and a couple of immersion heaters. Of course a 7kW shower unit could possibly be bodged to do the job but they always seem a bit plasticy for use out of the house.
Reply to
Mike

3-phase ! We still dream of getting one phase reliably out here :-)
Reply to
Mike

If possible, enough insulation may mean that it's economic to keep heated, if only used weekly.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

You might be surprised if you asked, although they might charge a bomb for installation. Generally it is 3 phase until adjacent to your property where they take one of them at random. If it is a reasonable figure to connect, then have the main house on one phase, the instantaneous heater across 3 phases (or on a 100A phase to itself) and have a single socket each on the two non-main phases. Tuck these away in the main cupboard with 400V warning stickers. You can use these with an extension when you have a power cut on your main phase, if the power cut doesn't take down the lot.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

A time switch may be your friend here? If you try to bodge a shower you will probably fail as they have are designed to burst a small disc if there is any substantial back pressure. This is a permanent failure.

Reply to
Ed Sirett