I just don't beleive it

This morning, after the massive storms of yesterday, we found there was no dial tone on any of the wireless phones. Broadband via the LL is still working, so I tried to find an ordinary plug into the socket none wireless one for test purposes. We don't seem to have one, nor any of the neighbours we have tried.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Well everyone should have one. It can save people a lot of money when but charge you nearly 200 notes for a call out. They only cost a tenner. I got mine from Argos. Looks a bit odd but who cares. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Well, it would be a good idea to get one! If the mains goes off, you can't make or receive any calls on cordless phones.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I have one sitting in a cupboard in case the power goes down. I do have UPS power to the base sets, but they were surplus to requirements on my computers and I don't entirely trust them to work for a long power failure.

Reply to
Nightjar

I still have my last Dial, as opposed to TouchTone, BT 'phone, for just this reason.

We live on the western end of the Norfolk/Suffolk border, and saw none of the massive storms reported on TV. It rained a bit last night.

Reply to
Davey

Davey submitted this idea :

We managed to borrow one eventually and plug it into the socket behind the master faceplate - its our line which is dead rather than an internal fault. As broadband on the line still works, the fault must be at the exchange.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

If you're with BT. best of luck explaining that to the Indians!

Reply to
Roger Mills

My test one has a crown and 'CCTA' stamped below the keypad. 'Borrowed' on its way to a skip ~20 years ago. Does the job.

Reply to
Nick

Just say the line's down & don't mention the war/W broadband.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

ISTR Argos do an analogue phone for less than a fiver, and there are often plenty kicking around the charity shops. A must have retro thing

Reply to
stuart noble

If youre caught without you can always use a low impedance earpiece plus 24v mains transformer to see if you get a ringtone.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Early on after moving here we had all the phone wiring replaced and reduced to the minimum required for:

1) a line to the room we use as an office 2) a line into the master bedroom

At the same time the bell wire was disconnected at the master socket. These are used:

1) broadband plus master unit for cordless phones around the house 2) A traditional spot for a wired phone for power fail emergencies

It also had the useful side effect of nearly doubling our broadband speed.

Reply to
Tim Streater

More than once I have had a reduced broadband service when my phones no longer worked. I don't think that the situation is that uncommon because of the capacitance of the cable.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Getting through to BT can be quite difficult these days if you just have a rotary dial. IME!

Reply to
Michael Chare

If you are in east anglia I know of a man who has.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yep. and the good news is voice fails get fixed easily when its 'no dial tone and dead'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have one (actually two) of these for emergencies:

jgh

Reply to
jgh

OT - certainly was. My wheelbarrow was half full of water. OK, caught some off the shed roof, but it was still a *lot* of rain...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Well, if its just your line that is rather unlucky. If it were the storms, I'd expect a whole bank of them to be out. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I don't think that's right.Some line faults will allow BB to work.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright