How best to rip off and con an OAP

"Lifts up to 70 stone (450 kg)" Kerist. I saw a programme on UK Bloaters the other night - ferk me, the fattest bastards I've ever seen and that's saying something.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

It's an old game, that. I knew a lad in Glasgow that made a very tidy sum every year from being an approved supplier of disability aids and conversions. I also knew for a fact what his markup was on the kit that I also sourced for other purposes.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Bargain.

You should see the markup on the 'Magic German Clay Filled Storage Heaters'. =A3200 trade, =A3700 retaill.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Likely a grey import from a well known UK supplier? Identical to that the shop sells?

This was shipped from the UK. Next day delivery.

You assume too much.

Sigh. The point being the shop charged for fitting on top of the excessive price.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes. Even a BMW dealer doesn't charge 3 times the price for their batteries than an identical one from Ebay. And their overheads are likely to be just as high.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But perhaps you should be looking at that from the opposite angle. If they were knowingly ripping off your parents rather than adopting what they honestly felt was the right approach to the job, *would* they have left the 'evidence' behind ?

I hear what you are saying, but in these days of crazy H & S legislation, along with the possibility of litigation against a company for doing a job that might result in some personal injury, they perhaps felt that the best approach was just to renew the whole sling. Sometimes, these things are not as straightforward as they at first appear ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

It's always possible to get a signature from the customer. "This repair has been limited to the replacement of the battery. We have not examined the rest of the equipment, and take no responsibility for it."

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

En el artículo , Owain escribió:

Magic in that they make your do$h disappear... Just like that!

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Dave Plowman (News) escribió:

They have to pay all the wanky salescritters in Armani suits.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

No, I'm telling you my experience.

You go on Ebay, you order something from an apparent UK supplier and when it comes, it's a "knock off" Chinese version dropped shipped from HK.

Whilst your particular product may be the exactly the same, you simply cannot be sure that this is the case with any randomly selected product and, for that reason, I don't think that you can make price comparisons from Ebay with a local supplier and then use that price difference to accuse the local supplier of ripping off the consumer.

tim

Reply to
tim.....

You can do that but it won't stop you getting done for manslaughter.

Reply to
dennis

I once had the same experience with a battery for a BMW R100RS bike. The "official" price was some 60 quid. I ordered from a local small auto electrical factor and got the same thing for half the price.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Some 30 years ago, I needed replacement batteries for a piece of measuring equipment. The equipment manufacturer's UK agent wanted £102, going directly to Varta got the price down to £34.

Reply to
charles

Send it back.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Strangely, I didn't much mind them as they appeared to know their job. The suits in the service department were a different matter. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Then avoid that supplier. I do.

And you can be certain you'll get the genuine item from a supplier who rips off the disabled?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My BMW branded battery failed just outside the 3 year warranty. Almost as if it had a time switch built in. ;-) The replacement Bosch, which was identical in all but badge, lasted 11 years.

I don't object to a reasonable mark up on these things as obviously a retailer has more overheads than a warehouse. But in the case of the mobility scooter batteries, three times plus a charge for fitting is taking the p**s. It could be most of these are paid for by the NHS or whatever, that would explain things.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And that was just the key fob for the alarm!

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Not user replaceable these days. Rechargeable. Which has a life only slightly longer than the primary type.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hah, the same battery as fitted the Reliant Robin was 17quid and the only thing different was 3/8th an inch in height. Meant I had to leave the tool tray in the top box.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon