Hotpoint Washing Machine

Bit of a long shot I know but have a Hotpoint WF860 washer that is only 2 weeks old. The screen has started to display the word "Test" all the time and I can't select any of the programs. It keeps cycling through a test procedure and I can't stop it. Could one of my children accidently pressed a combination of buttons that put it in this mode or is it likely to be a fault? I shall give Hotpoint a call tomorrow but thought I would try here for any Hotpoint engineers.

Reply to
Wainscotting

Have you tried removing the power from the machine, completely, as in unplug it totally, and leave it for about five minutes. When you switch it back on, hopefully, the machine should have reset itself. If it hasn't, then you do need to call a service engineer to have a look. It's only two weeks old after all.

Reply to
BigWallop

It's unplugged now and will stay that way overnight. The machine is actually due to be replaced next Saturday as it had a cracked top when delivered and the shop agreed to replace it rather than supply a new top. My main concern is that the fault could be inherent in this model and replacing it with the same one may lead to more trauma. The last thing I would want to do is pay for extended warranty just in case. I would rather go for a different model or manufacturer. Thanks for the reply.

Reply to
Wainscotting

I see your point. I don't know this model machine at all, so I can't comment on their reliability. Because the machine is brand new, any fault on them at all and you send it straight back for a full refund. If I got two machines which showed faults on them, I know where I'd stick them. Back in the shop I bought it from of course.

Reply to
BigWallop

In message , Wainscotting writes

As a landlord I bought 4 hotpoint washer/dryers a couple of years ago. I will never buy another hotpoint product again!!

I currently buy Hoover and, so far, so good.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

I'd suggest you replace it with something else, i've had 2 hotpoint dishwashers in the last 8 weeks, both failed irrepairably after between 4 and 7 washes, despite tinkering from the enginneer on two occasions each.

I rejected the 2nd one and have now bought a Bosch.

A friend has since bought a hotpoint washer and the pump in that has just failed but not before flooding his kitchen...

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

I also know of plenty of people that have had years of trouble free service from them. Previously had a Zanussi and went through two sets od drum bearings in 4 years. It has a years parts and labour guarantee and an additional 5 years parts so I will see how it goes for the first 12 months. I found the solution to the "Test" program. Had to hold the On/Off and Stop/Cancel buttons simultaneously to get out of the program. Thanks for all the input.

Reply to
Wainscotting

The Hotpoint dishwasher was made by Bosch you have bought the same thing with a different name on it !

The pump in the Hotpoint is not made by hotpoint the same make of pump is used by nearly every washer brand inc Bosch ! remarkable whats in a name !

Peter

Reply to
Peter

I have it on good authority (the hotpoint enginneer of some 30yrs experience, and also a friend of the family) that the hotpoint and indesit machines are built by at the Indesit factory all inhouse.

Bosch *did* used to build them and badge them as Hotpoint, but no longer do so.

Bosch use their own pumps whereas most of the others use an italian made "ferfaboli" or somesuch.

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Er no its made by Merloni

Mark

dishwasher ???? I must have been dreaming repairing the dishwasher this morning with Hotpoint on the front but made by bosch or indeed the Bosch TD made in the UK by Crosslee a White Knight, Bosch me arse, the motor cost £170 you can buy a new White Knight for £100 !! Another one was a control knob on a Bosch washer timer £75+vat ! you haave to buy the whole facia !

Peter

Reply to
Peter