Hotpoint washing machine noisy

Hi,

My Hotpoint washing machine (A First Edition 1000) recently began making a horrendous amount of noise during the spin cycle. Whilst I've been looking into changing the bearings etc. It has also started blowing the main circuit breaker to the house (only the main one not the smaller circuit breaker supplying the ring that the WM is connected to). Could these two faults be related which may help me to pinpoint the actual problem?

Has anyone any suggestions as to what this may be?

Thanks in advance for any replies there may be and a happy new year!

Reply to
hector

By main circuit breaker [in CU], do you mean an RCD which senses low resistance frrom L to E or from N to E? The other circuit breaker (MCB) for the power ring senses over-current condition. If this is so, you have an earth-leakage fault, apart from a noisy spinner! If not, why is the fault blowing a 45A trip - rather than the nearer 32A trip or even the 1" fuse in 13A plug? Do unplug from, or switch off supply at wall-socket - and first you might check for tell-tale moisture near mains wiring within the W/M or a failed capacitor giving a taboo path to E. Jim

Reply to
Jim Gregory

If the drum drops on its bearings on a Hotpoint WM series it damages the heater causing the RCD to trip, other cause could be a leak of water onto the electrics.

Peter

Reply to
powerstation

drum bearings and motor brushes.

Reply to
EricP

The noise is almost certainly the bearings. Open the door and try to rock the drum. Any perceptible movement, and the bearings are shot.

The drum rotates inside the water 'tub'. The heater is at the bottom of the tub. Any movement of the drum and it may scrape the heater, and there'll be an earth leakage fault.

New bearings and new heater....!

Reply to
Bob Eager

On the noise side, one thing that I've found is that if a coin ends up between the two drums that this can suddenly cause a lot of noise when spinning - usually on the fast spin cycle. I've had this happen on my old Creda and I suspect this is the reason for my heater packing up (not tripping anything) as I found various bits of scale in with one wash.

On the odd times I've had this, the coin has usually appeared in the drum after a few washes / spins, but it's probably doing various damage to the equipment in the meantime.

Roger

Reply to
romic