Washing machine vibration , need help to troubleshoot

Hiya

We have a Hotpoint front loader that seems to have developed excessive vibration during the spin cycle when a normal load is being washed.

With no load and the machine set to spin at its max 1200 RPM the washer is fine.

There is no excessive movement when you move the drum by hand so the bearings seem fine.

The washer has an auto balance feature that I'm not sure how to check

Anyone have any ideas on how to troubleshoot vibration probs ?

Regards

Cub

Reply to
Cub

These things do vibrate a bit. The FLs at the laundromat are bolted to the foundation or steel rails, so they don't shake, but your's has shocks so the drum can shake about. A load with a single heavy item like a towel (heavy due to the amount of water retained) and other small items will cause some alarming shaking. It should be OK as long as it isn't hitting the cabinet too much or too hard.

On an LG model, there's a ball that is centered when it isn't vibrating too much. When the ball moves around too much, there's a light that's able to shine through, and that's how it knows. Well, that's what I remember from the manual that the service person showed me. You should have someone who works with that model a lot look at it. It's probably within spec.

Reply to
Nexus7

The levelling legs are probably not levelled. A single leg out of four that is not touching the floor will cause the washer to wobble (the vibration) during the spin cycle and even "walk" the machine.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

Thanks for the advice, the machine has just started to vibrate over the last

2 cycles, I will check that its level but thought with such a change ie one day normal the next vibration that something has *snapped* .

Cub

Reply to
Cub

Found the problem... :-(

The heater unit on top of the drum is fastened to the drum via a metal plate and 4 screws.

1 screw missing , 1 loose , the holes in the metal plate on the other side had become detached due to metal fatigue

the fan that moves hot air around the drum had become misaligned due to another screw that had vibrated out , the blade of the fan had been catching the drum for some time. need to find a scrapper washing machine

Cub

Reply to
Cub