Hinged Curtain Rail

One of my bedroom windows is in a 18 inch square sided recess - the house wall are 30 inches plus thick.

We've tried a curtain pole on the room wall but we never really liked it and have been keeping our eyes open for an alternative. While in Germany this year, an old hotel had solved the similar problem with a pair of ~8mm dia. stainless steel rods each a bit over half the window in length. Each rod carried a curtain and was mounted on a simple pivot at the side of the top of the window such that the curtains could be rotated to be over the the window or hinged back against the recess.

Does that description make sense ? How difficult it is to describe something in words ! Anyone seen anything similar for sale anywhere ?

Thanks

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

At one time you could get towel rails like that, but with multiple 'rods'. If they're still available, you could perhaps modify a couple.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

We got a local blacksmith to make one for us.

Reply to
Jonathan

Hmm - yes - and how many of them are there nowadays. But it is an idea worth considering if I could find such a creature.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

We used to have them over the doors when rooms led straight onto the street. Curtains kept out the draught but had to be moved to open the door. I'd have thought they'd be obtainable still, from an ironmonger/hardware store.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Have a look if there's a UK metalworking group on usenet. There's one in US but I don't know about UK. If you can find one, a member would almost certainly be able to make something. Failing that, try a local small machine shop. The only one I know of is in Wales unfortunately.

Of course, you could always make a wooden version.

John

Reply to
John

Where do you live. I know of two fairly near to where I live in south Warwickshire.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

It is called a "Drapery Rod"

John

little bits of information tucked away that qualify us as an anorak ! Really don't know why you would have this bit !!

Cheers and thanks

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

finding a UK supplier but the US go in for them in a big way. This is the sort of thing :-

price worries me a bit but I've emailed a local blacksmith to see if he is interested and as long as he doesn't see the price, then I've got something to show him!!

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

I was looking for a solution once - and ended up being put off by the price.

Will get my anorak back on.

Reply to
John

Grief - HOW MUCH! I'm glad I make so much stuff myself.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Top one looks suspiciously like a bent piece of rebar painted black.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

There's a business opportunity then!

We get used to the low costs due to mass production. For small markets the prices are very different. Just go into a good garden centre and see the expensive useless crap they sell amongst the fancy goods.

Reply to
John

Portiere bar. I got one in John Lewis's a few years ago - before we had the double-glazed door installed.

Reply to
Anne Jackson