Curtain rail - corded or not?

We have a difficult window to curtain. It's deep and relatively narrow. The reveal is 16 cm deep and absolutely square sided. The window (traditional Scottish sash) is near enough 100 cm wide, 140 cm high with the sill at 100 cm.

The problem is the curtain rail which requires sharp angles over a fairly short distance.

The question is - would a corded rail work better than just a plain pull-the-curtain type?

Thanks Rob

Reply to
robgraham

On Saturday 23 November 2013 21:54 robgraham wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I used ali I-beam rail in my square bays:

In expensive, strong, easy to form to fairly tight bends (bend raidius about

7cm), can be top hung (ceiling) or face (wall) mounted.

Very smooth action...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Thanks Tim - I went to check what was in this window at the moment and found an Al extrusion and nylon runners. The bends were R=17cm, so 7cm is really tight.

Out of interest did you use the wheeled runners or the nylon slides, and the site is advertising a Universal bracket but it's not in the drop down box ?

Cheers Rob

Reply to
robgraham

On Sunday 24 November 2013 23:09 robgraham wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Wheeled runners.

What I like is that it is infinitely adaptable and doesn't wobble around like plastic. It's also smoother than any plastic I've come across.

Reply to
Tim Watts

In message , Tim Watts writes

Yes, I didn't use that, but another version of aluminium curtain track when I replaced one in our house, and yes it's lovely and rigid and smooth. and hopefully will stay so longer. Any new replacements will be similar.

As to the OP, we have corded rails in some of our windows, nothing with such a sharp bend though - 45 degree bays.

The corded arrangement was working fine. though we now have some failures, the weak bit being the little bit of gubbins where the vertical cord goes horizontal. There are little plastic wheels and things in there which have just got to worn - suspect these are probably at least 20 years old though.

Waiting for a roundtuit or two

Reply to
chris French

Possibly redundant as that I-beam track looks like the real deal, but we have been putting up corded tracks for the simple reason that our ceilings (and therefore curtain rails) are pretty high, so the angle of pull gets to be too oblique. Should you use any kind of corded systm though, it pays to put an extra bracket at the cord pull end to take the load should someone give it a bit too much of a tug. No prizes for guessing how I found that out.....

Reply to
GMM

I have a couple of Swish corded tracks of similar age, the plastic has reached 'that age' where the hooks and brackets are starting to snap-off at the slightest bit too much pressure.

Reply to
Andy Burns