Curtain rail sticking

Hi, I've just fitted a new curtain rail and the damn things sticks. i.e. I can't pull the curtains across since it jams.

It a plastic cordless monorail system for lightweight curtains (the gliders hook over the top and bottom of the rail). What seems to be happening is that the gliders are twisting instead of gliding which causes the jam.

The rail is straight and horizontal. It's strange since I haven't had trouble with these before.

Apart from replacing the whole rail is there a simple/easy solution to this?

Reply to
Mark

Try using some silicone polish on it. A rail I bought came with a little sachet of it, and before application the curtains wouldn't close, rather like yours, and after - no problems.

JohnW

Reply to
JohnW

Spray the track with furniture polish.

Reply to
Lino expert

Silicone spray. Also sold as cockpit spray for shining up plastic trim in cars.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Candle wax. Rub a candle along the track. Others have said silicon spray as well

Is it just me that is absolutely furious when a car has been spruced up at a dealers, and they have given the steering wheel the silicone treatment?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Well it's probably better to spray a little onto a cloth or bit of kitchen roll and rub that along the surfaces of the the track where the hooks run. Less chance of getting overspray on the wall paper etc and you don't need a great deal of the stuff anyway.

Candle wax may work but that is normally used as lubricant on wooden drawer runners rather than plastic curtain tracks. A little silicone based furniture polish also dries and doesn't remain sticky to attract dust either.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I hate it when anyone uses silicone type polishes on anything. It's terrible stuff as a "polish", it builds up over time, then starts to flake off or discolour. The only time a I use a silcone polish is for lubricating plastic curtain tracks...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Indeed. Silicone spray from the electrical wholesalers is cheaper than cockpit spray and works well on my vans dashboard.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

In article , Mark writes

Spray the rail with a silicone furniture polish, such as Mr Sheen. Run curtains back and forth a few times, they'll be much improved.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In article , Chris J Dixon writes

Mo, you're not alone.

The cure is baby wipes - if they'll get the whatsit off a baby's arse, they'll clean yer wheel a treat. :)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Chris J Dixon expressed precisely :

You are not alone on that, they also tend to do the inside of the windscreen with the spray.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

What do leckies use it for then? I buy mine from a plumbing outlet - push fit pan connectors etc.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Pulling cables through conduit.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Also extensively used in the textile industry to help fabrics and yarns glide through the machinery.

Reply to
Rod

Any sensible car valeter would avoid the wheel, but 'sensible car valeter' is an oxymoron IME. Glass cleaner (not the Windowlene type) gets it off a treat.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

WD40 on a bit of cloth works fine too; repeat every few months

Reply to
newshound

No. I think it's positively dangerous, it reduces significantly the grip on the steering wheel, as well as feeling horrible.

Reply to
<me9

Thanks to all. I'll get some silicone spray next time I'm near the shops.

Reply to
Mark

Use some silicone spray from Halfords. It has a little straw that you can guide into the rail, then your curtains will whoosh around, even bay windows

Reply to
g.c.matthews.2000