Gas lift chairs

Can these be fixed once they start getting a bit lazy?

Reply to
Doki

Only with a *new* gas strut Doki.

Try the company that supplied the chair on the availability of spares.

BRG

Reply to
BRG

No. I filled mine with wine jar corks, much better!

Reply to
Bob Martin

Ikea. I suspect they'll tell me to stick it up my arse and be grateful I got a chair at all and that it's lasted this long...

Reply to
Doki

If you're not worried about being able to adjust the height, and simply want to stop it sinking below a certain level, you can put something round the extending strut to stop it being compressed. If you can remove the end fitting, you can slide a length of metal tube of a suitable diameter over it. Otherwise you could split a piece of tube lengthways and clamp the two halves round the shaft.

Replacing the whole thing could be pretty difficult, even if you can get a replacement. The bottom end has a taper which fits into a tapered hole in the spider which holds the wheels. In my experience, it's virtually impossible to separate the taper once the chair has been sat on for a while. I have used considerable violence on some of my chairs, to no avail!

Reply to
Roger Mills