caustic soda - difficult to obtain

caustic soda used to be available in most chemist shops. Can't seem to get it these days - is it perhaps another nasty terrorist susbstance? Cynical? You bet.

Reply to
mike

The sheds stocked it last time I looked. B&Q had their own brand IIRC

Reply to
Stuart Noble

It's not banned, you're just looking in the wrong place.

Handymans Sheds Supermarkets Online

Reply to
Phil L

You can't use it for making explosives. Acids yes.

Reply to
David in Normandy

Paranoid is the word. I'd stop reading the Daily Mail if I was you!

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
normanwisdom

Does a terrorist get the shitty jobs?

Reply to
George

Also....

Home&Bargain Stores Chandlers Some Paint&Decorators shops. Poundland now and again.

Reply to
George

Bought some last week in B&Q. Plenty on the shelves.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Wilkinsons sell it too.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Good. I had though tried *three* chemists shops all of whom used to sell it. I just want clean the drain not rule the world with it. The head boss-woman chemist herself actually started this off by muttering something about "maybe the've taken it off the list because..." (I kid you not). Of course Mr Bond, "They" could have another list...

Reply to
mike

You don't need chemist grade caustic soda to clean drains.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Any farm/country supplies store will have it available in 5-25Kg quantities.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Just bought a half-gallon plastic bottle of crystalline NaOH from Drews the ironmongers here in Reading. And a bottle of 97% H2SO4.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Dropping that carrier bag could have been spectacular!

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Maybe that's why the guys in the shop stood back as I left :-)

Reply to
John Stumbles

I'm a bit surprised that they would have these. What are the typical trade applications?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Party on ...

One thing to be aware of is that NaOH is hygroscopic

leave it open to the air for too long and you end up with an evil slurry of the stuff

Reply to
geoff

Unblocking drains, bleaching wood..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Or even _darkening_ wood.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember David in Normandy saying something like:

Not directly, but... The infamous two-stage biodiesel process involves using sulphuric acid and sodium methoxide. Some dope somewhere will use nitric acid instead and throw off nitro-glycerine as a by-product.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon