Chair gas lift mechanisms

Hi all, I`ve got a chair with a faulty gas lift mechanism, and am currently involved in a disagreement with the supplier regarding returning the chair to them. It`s a bloody big leather chair and they are insisting that I buy the packing to return it to them, and get a refund of 5 for the packing material. This is a lot of messing about - I`m wondering how standard the gas lift mechanisms are in these chairs, and how easy it would be to source a replacement. It seems to me that if I can get a replacement gas lift mechanism easily and cheaply, they`d be likely to refund me the cost and it`d be a lot less agravation than any other course of action I can think of.
Anyone got any ideas for sources of these mechanisms in single quantities? i`ve had a quick google and look on ebay with no joy.
Thanks in advance!

Are they prepared to send you the replacement gas lift mechanism for you to fit yourself? They're pretty easy to fit on the chairs I have. In fact, it's often one of the component parts in cheap self-assembly chairs.
Jon.

i`ve already suggested that and been told it isn`t an option :-)
Simon Finnigan wrote:

That's just plain unreasonable - you've given them a very easy, low cost option, and they have refused to take it.
How old is the chair?
--
Grunff

Unless it's the actual manufacturer, they'd have to break open another chair package to get one. Or wait for a spare from manufacturer.
Bob Eager wrote:

Sure, but that's not a problem. If they're going to have to replace his faulty chair, then it's easier and cheaper for them to just break open a new one and take the strut from it. We do this all the time.
--
Grunff

About 3 months.
Simon Finnigan wrote:

Hmm, I'm not sure where that leaves you legally. I would generally expect them to pick up the faulty chair if it develops a fault within the first month.
--
Grunff

Simon Finnigan laid this down on his screen :

Then if you bought it from a retailer, it is the retailers problem. Take it back to the retailer and let them package it up for return.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

That`d involve a drive to where-ever ebuyer.com is based, which i`m fairly certain would cost me more in diesel than the chair cost in the first place. :-)
On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 21:57:12 +0100, "Simon Finnigan"

Suggest you make a posting on uk.legal about distance selling regs.
Derek

Which will not help at all. DSR applies to return of unused goods.
Sale Of Goods Act is the one here.

OK
All along I've been making the assumption it would help.

DG

Actually they can be used goods too, but return is because they are not wanted, not because they are broken.

--
Andrew Gabriel
On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 11:02:28 +0100, Simon Finnigan wrote:

Well you can sometimes get a complete gas-lift chair for < 20 tho' you have to assemble it yourself. It sounds like that would be a bonus in your situation as the lifter is one of the parts you get.
Look at Viking Direct or Tesco's websites for ideas. Obviously not top quality at those prices, but might do the job for you. You might have to wait for an offer - but they seem to pop up fairly regularly.
. never trust a man who, when left alone ...... Pete Lynch .

Where did you buy it? Its not your responsibility to get the chair collected/repaired its the retailers. Take it back and ask for a refund/replacement/repair as you want.