Gas lift

I am planning to build a floor standing storage unit 71cm high.

In part of it there will be a lift-up lid so that items can be stored beneath it. I want to push it to open and then have hydraulic gas-filled struts take it to an upright position.

I cannot find adverts for gas-filled struts that indicate whether they include a push to open mechanism.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Alan

Reply to
pinnerite

pinnerite laid this down on his screen :

The only ones I have come across are 'gas assisted lift', in other words they simply act like a compressed spring - you lift, they assist.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Why not use ordinary gas-filled struts with a separate push-to-open latch?

Reply to
Jeff Layman

+1 There is a latch where the first press hold it closed, the second press releases it. Usually used for cupboard doors.

Be aware that gas struts are available in different extension lengths and in various strengths.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

I think there are mounting location choices giving different effects. In line with the hinge should give zero push when fully closed etc.

Reply to
Tim Lamb