gas hob and the spark igniter

Our neighour has a Whirlpool gas hob. Recently the electric spark igniter has jammed on, and can only be stopped sparking by switching it off at the mains electricity.

Grateful for any suggestions on what is best to do to cure this fault, please. Thanks.

Reply to
john hamilton

Is the switch stuck on? If so, clean or replace the switch. (could be one switch per knob depending on hob design)

Or is the igniter just going crazy, and is it a sealed module? If so, replace. And be prepared to battle with parts suppliers who don't think joe public ought to be allowed to fit such things.

Reply to
Clive George

Grease gunging up the spring return? A case for WD40 or Servisol Switch Cleaner (preferably)

Reply to
John

or water having got in the switch, shorting it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

When one of ours keeps sparking we just turn on and off one of the other rings. That usually stops the sparker.

spamlet

john hamilton submitted this idea :

Push button jammed on, or perhaps moisture bridging it.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield