Gas cooker extraction fan

What are the regulations relating to a cooker with an eye level grill with regards to using an extraction hood?

sPoNiX

Reply to
sPONiX

"Don't do it" AFAIK!

(at least, I remember the hood I recently fitted cam with a warning not to use it with eye level grills) David

Reply to
Lobster

Is there a minimum distance? Is it different for different cookers?

sPoNiX

Reply to
sPoNiX

Let me follow that up by saying that I have been told conflicting information. One source says extractors are OK so long as there is

600mm clearance..another source says that extractors should not be used under any circumstances with a gas cooker yet another source says that extractors are OK so long as they are re-circulatory.

sPoNiX

Reply to
sPoNiX

"sPoNiX" wrote | Let me follow that up by saying that I have been told | conflicting information. One source says extractors | are OK so long as there is 600mm clearance..

Hmmm.

| another source says that extractors should not be used | under any circumstances with a gas cooker

That's 99.9% of all commercial kitchens f'cked then.

| yet another source says that extractors are OK so | long as they are re-circulatory.

Which aren't extractors, then, and are useless for removing steam and not great at removing odours.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

From the cooker POV you have to have a clearance above the top of the cooker of a certain amount (600 or 750 off the top of my head, but I'd have to look it up to be sure), or whatever the cooker mfr says if that is different.

From the extractor manufacturer's POV it'll be down to what they say in their instructions, as long as it satisfies the cooker clearance too.

Reply to
John Stumbles

So your head is a gas cooker?

Reply to
Rob Morley

No he is the same hight as a high level grill gas cooker

Peter

Reply to
Peter

It can be. Most manufacturers seem to follow the regulations laid out in a BS normative document, unless they have particular reasons to state otherwise.

Off the top of my head I think the clearance to _combustible_ materials must be >600mm above a cooker with (h)eye-level grill.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Especially since commercial catering appliances have a stack of regs which _require_ seriously large amounts extraction.

With all these matters it is what the manufacturers state both of the cooker and the extractor.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

And take the greater of the two if they differ

Peter

Reply to
Peter