FOAK: Minor roads maps online?

Fount of all knowledge request:

Our local council has given notice of closing a local road for a week or so.

Typically, instead of asking the local paper to notify readers that "the road from A to B will be closed for X from DD ...", they have taken an advert in the form of a Public Notice, and stated the po-faced bare facts: "the C123 will be closed from its junction with the U456 to its junction with the U987".

Since only the highway people themselves know what the C123, U456 and U987 actually are, we are somewhat in the dark.

I'd like to look at a map which identifies these roads. Googlemaps doesn't seem to do this. Does any online map?

Thanks a lot for any advice, John

p.s. I recognize the 'legal requirements' placed upon local councils, but what harm would it do for them to also get the paper to publish a brief, informal, and highly informative article, which we could all understand?

Reply to
Another John

Another John formulated the question :

If you type into GoogleEarths search box c123 it will find the road and zoom into to it.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Try streetmap.co.uk, use the search and then zoom in to the OS map

1:50000 level.
Reply to
Bob Eager

In message , Harry Bloomfield writes

For those who haven't found it already

can be useful. Better aerial photos than I find on Google Earth.

You may be impressed to see how much is available on line about land owners and support payments/agreements:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Only if you're lucky. Unlike A and B roads, C road numbers are under the control of local authorities; there may be multiple instances of C123 or whatever. None of the C roads I know of show up on Google maps or Streetview.

Reply to
Halmyre

This is a BOAT and it is on Streetmap.

Simon Mason

This is a BOAT and it is on Streetmap.

Simon Mason

You might be interested in

It doesn't have the identification you ask for, but should show forthcoming road works.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

OP here -- No -- nor in India, or Mexico, which Googlemaps also came up with :-D I'm in the beautiful North East of England: I have a congenital (i.e. with the birth of the internet) dislike of putting actual data out there unless it's required --- risibly pathetic, I know, in these days of data clouds that talk to each other, but I'm an old dog.

So anyway: thank you very much one and all for the leads and the useful information here: it might be against the grain for an old dog to learn new tricks, but you can never get enough of new "stuff". Thanks: I'll be getting busy!

John

Reply to
Another John

In message , jim writes

Some years ago, someone posted a link to a site which showed land/property ownership, but I've lost the link :-(

It was not a paid for service like 192.com; probably more like a register of electors, but not that either. Ring any bells?

Reply to
Graeme

In message , Graeme writes

It is a while since I have used it but if you register with Land Registry a modest fee ?3.00? gets you the ownership details of a specific parcel.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

£4. plus another £4 if you want a plan. There is an online search with a map which is quite useful.
Reply to
DJC

It says £3.00 for each on the website. And that;s what I paid a couple of weeks ago!

Reply to
Bob Eager

There should also be a PDF that they sent to local or parish councils and if there isn't then you should complain to the planning officer or highways works supervisor (each may point you at the other).

Immediately prior to closure they should display notices on the route saying when it will be closed and sign an alternate route. If you live on the road then they have to let you reach your property most of the time. Some businesses can be seriously affected by these road closures.

You do get rogue ones where they dig a trench preventing anyone getting their car in or out someitmes. One made the headlines last year.

When they did this sort of thing to our cNNN road with no name we got a letter through the door which served also as a residents pass to get through the road blocks at each end. No through traffic allowed.

They enjoy tarring and feathering roads in autumn and also for some strange reason adding kerbs to country lane bends so that the trapped water is another 6" deeper when it rains. Several places on our road already made excellent traps for Renault cars when there is severe rain it will be even more fun now with the extra added depth.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Good expression! Very accurate.

Mind: it's got to the state now where we are grateful even for the tarring and feathering.

BTW: the road they are closing was (*miraculously*!!) *properly* resurfaced in 2015 (i.e. closed, planed, and whole layers laid down. We suspect they're going to close it because BT want to dig a trench the whole length of this new, silky, road in order to lay fibre. Progress.

J.

Reply to
Another John

In message , Tim Lamb writes

Thanks, yes, I have used the Land Registry site, but at one time I had a link to a site where I could browse similar details, free. It may have been occupant(s) rather than owners, though.

Reply to
Graeme

Sorry, my memory must be going now I've finally moved to the country. I have purchased enough of them in the past three years. (If you view a property and are thinking of making an offer the title and plan can be very useful.)

Reply to
DJC

That's OK! Just correcting the record. The service is instant, too. I used it to disciver the owner of the (rented) house next door and I want to fly a cable over the corner of their garden.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Newly resurfaced roads are a magnet for service providers who simply itch t o dig a trench in it and then fill it in with low grade materials. Years ag o in Edinburgh they relaid a cobbled side street near where I lived. Beauti ful job they did. It had barely been completed when some service provider c ame along, dug a trench across it where it met the main road, laid their ca ble or whatever and re-filled the hole with tarmac.

Reply to
Halmyre

AIUI, these days the rules have changed. Although you may sometimes see temporary fill, everything has to be done properly, to match the original.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon