Exorbitant prices at B&Q

Ah. I suppose it could've been.

Humour detector on critical this morning.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

  1. You may well be assuming a level of DIY competence higher than mine.
  2. I was referring to the nuisance from foxes trying to get into the hen house, not to the nuisance of their success in doing so.
  3. The number of urban foxes in London has increased greatly. When I first moved to London in 1975 seeing one would be a topic for conversation at coffee. Now they are slow to move out of the garden when they are sunning themselves mid-afternoon .
  4. In more rural areas the foxes are controlled by farmers et al. Around here shooting tends to be confined to man-on-man action by the gangs, drug dealers, pimps, police etc.
Reply to
Robin

I think that you will find that retail (ie shop/supermarket/farm shops) eggs are of British origin but for industrial use (ingredients/frozen omelettes etc.) are generally imported.

Reply to
Corporal Jones

The rip offs were the small shops so how are you going to stop them, rationing with fixed prices?

Reply to
dennis

You can tell a Danish egg because it stinks of fishmeal they feed em on. Quite disgusting.

There's a 10,000 hen battery down the road here.

I guess that goes to eggpackers and craters Inc. to be turned into supermarket 'product'

Not worth importing, too fragile and too low value.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I don't even understand the sentence dennis. Nurse. Up the tranquillizer levels again, Dennis is going manic...and we don't want him having one of his 'turns' again, all over the bedspread...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I simply do not believe it is impossible to construct a fox-proof fence.

MM

Reply to
MM

Maybe, but I'm not buying for industrial use, am I ! Large consumers of egg for food manufacturing can buy liquid egg. I don't buy that either.

MM

Reply to
MM

Yeah, we've got TWO Polish food shops now. Thank Gawd for the East Europeans! I can buy lots of delicious Wurst of all kinds.

MM

Reply to
MM

No, but its cheaper to buy the eggs.

You are thinking of a 'battery farm hen unit'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My rabbit run was fox proof, I just put 4" x 2" mesh under the ground across the entire run. It was actually to stop the rabbits digging out but it stops foxes just as well.

The new one is even more fox proof as I have cast a concrete slab under it.

Reply to
dennis

But out here in rural Lincs I see chickens in many farmyards and backyards and I'm sure the owners know how to deal with foxes.

No, I'm not. I'm thinking of a small number of chickens -- mostly around a dozen - in a pen with a small area to scratch in, within a wire enclosure, but not otherwise protected. Maybe in the Fens foxes don't need to bother with chickens since the countryside is teeming with wildlife, especially pheasants.

MM

Reply to
MM

There you go! Honestly, the fuss some people make about fox infestation!

MM

Reply to
MM

so a dense battery farm :-)

Maybe in the Fens foxes

same out here, but the foxes bother because its EASIER.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Don't even try. Just shut them in the hen house each night. We've never lost any. Lost a few eggs to the rats, however.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I'm sure she's glad.

Reply to
grimly4

I have to admit, it did take me a few seconds to get it. [Must be old age.]

Reply to
Ian Jackson