Electrics for kitchen extractor fan

I need to install an extractor fan in my kitchen to improve the current non-existent ventilation (the windows are painted shut!). Rather than go to the hassle and expense of putting a hole through the wall (they're 2 feet thick) I'm thinking of mounting the fan in one of the single glazed windows which are sealed shut. My question is one of electrics. Can I wire this to a mains plug and use one of the sockets in the kitchen rather than hard-wire it, and would this get around Part P? The other attraction of this solution is that I could re-use the fan when we have enough money to do the kitchen properly and put a hole in the wall for the fan.

Thoughts/suggestions welcome...

Reply to
Redeye

On 19 Jun 2006 05:11:14 -0700 someone who may be "Redeye" wrote this:-

It might get some air sucked through the teeth by some. However, if it is done thoroughly then it could be called a temporary bit of work until the kitchen is refurbished fully. Stage 1 of the kitchen refurbishment plan.

Probably. It is only of passing interest here, so I have not looked into it too closely.

How it is wired up makes no difference to whether the fan can be re-used.

Make sure that the fan can be converted into a ducted one before buying it. You might even want to get some of the bits in case they stop being made.

Reply to
David Hansen

Thanks David.

Good point about the ducting, I'd not thought of that.

I expect this approach would be frowned upon by some, but right at the moment I don't have the time, money or effort to invest in doing it "properly". I'm just trying to do something to improve the ventilation on the basis that something is better than nothing.

Reply to
Redeye

I had an Xpelair fan fitted this way in a window from 1993 for over a decade. Worked great at getting the humid air and smells out - better than the pukka extractor hood now fitted, in fact.

Reply to
rrh

I cant see this being a problem at all, most hob extractors come with a fitted 13A plug on them, and are usually plugged into a socket behind the cowling.

Make sure you use flex (Multi stranded cable) rather than T&E though.

Reply to
Sparks

Less hassle than making a hole in galls I'd say.

Core drill, or series of holes and cold chisel..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Owain

Reply to