Balancing a ceiling fan

Just installed a 44-inch fan on bedroom ceiling. Silent and smooth on low speed setting; slightly wobbly on medium and high.

Can it be balanced?

Reply to
Chris

I installed a couple of ceiling fans in our bedrooms a few years back - they're excellent on those hot, sticky summer nights when there's no breeze. Both units had instructions for balancing - as far as I remember it had to be done before the assembled unit was fixed to the ceiling. I'm pretty sure the fan had to be held with the blades vertical so that the 'heavy' side moved to the bottom, but I can't remember what was used to actually balance them. Blu-Tak would do the job as long as you're not too thorough when later cleaning the blades :-)

Mike

Reply to
mheden

generally yes. The first thing is to make sure the blades are all level as it rotates. Bend the fixing brackets slightly if theyre not. Now hoold a crayon very steady by the hub as it rotates to mark which side is lightest. On that side, add more nuts to the metal blade fixing bracket screws. If you have to add weight any other way, be careful how its attached because youve got high speed rotation plus a lot of vibration there.

NT

Reply to
meow2222