Dyson DC07

Page 1 of 2
I have succumbed to SWMBO and have bought a Dyson DC07. I have already taken the wheels off to lubricate the spindles!!!!
Any tips on preventative care / maintenance. I recall seeing old threads about cables breaking and switches failing. Not sure of the models though.
It occurred to me that the main head pivot could be vulnerable.
--

Regards

John

John wrote:

What surprises me is the number of Dysons I see discarded at the local "recylcing centre" each time I go there. They can't have been around that long can they? My Panasonic is still working well after >10years..
Some people seem quite hopeless with many appliances. Often they buy items that are unsuitable and become disillusioned with the item.
My 18 year old Indesit is still doing a good job after only one set of brushes. A neighbour ditched a 4 month old washer because it jumped around! I guess it was the feet that were out of adjustment - however, she swears she will never buy a xxxxxxxx again - even the store seems to attract some of the blame.
--

Regards

John

"BillR" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Yup - I bought a Panasonic on the recommendation of Which, and apart from the bulb has never given any trouble. My next door neighbour's Dyson, however, bought at the same time, has had countless repairs and she's just bought a new one - another Dyson. Madness.
Just in case anyone thinks I'm more gentle than she is with the things, she used to clean for me twice a week...
--
*Forget the Joneses, I keep us up with the Simpsons.

I've got a 4 year old DC04 which has been used entirely for cleaning up building work (wasn't bought for that purpose, but that's what it ended up being used for). It's worked perfectly. The hose has now just worn out, as a result of being used to suck up loads of rubble, and the inside of the dust canister has been well and truely sand blasted, but the thing is working fine. You have to wash the filter after a couple of days of sucking up many canister fulls of plaster dust, but a bagged cleaner is useless for this type of thing -- if the bag catches the fine dust it clogs, and if it doesn't clog, that's because it isn't catching the fine dust. However, I'm aware the Dysons are fragile, and I handle it carefully -- I'm not suggesting for one moment they are really suitable for building work use.
I also have a DC07 which is used for household cleaning, and that has had no problems. The DC07 has many design improvements over the DC04, improving its usability, and also its suck is noticably more powerfull.
--
Andrew Gabriel

More Dysons are sold than any other model, so you will se more about. You can have the whole thing refurbished for about 50. They will even put in a new motor for that price if needed. No other makers comes near to parts availability and service like that. I have had one for 7 years and it still goes brilliantly. Far better than the silly bag one I had before. It really does suck better.

Notice my local Curries have a huge display of Dyson spares. And not just normal service items like belts and brushes etc.
Commendable, I'm sure, but given that these places don't take up valuable floor space with slow selling items, I think it should tell you something.
Of course it doesn't surprise me that your Dyson has never given trouble. You have that magic touch with so much else.
--
*Why are a wise man and a wise guy opposites? *

How many commercial cleaners do you see with Dysons...?
None, of course. They are expensive, gimmicky and from what I've read here, fragile and unreliable.
All the office cleaners I've seen have Henry's, and to much utter astonishment I've seen a hotel cleaner in the USA using a Zebo. (I was astonished because they're German, and if Americans will use a non-US product, it's got to be *brilliant*.)
We have a Zebo, and I'd happily buy another.
On 7 Dec 2003 12:24:26 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) wrote:

What's gimmicky about them? They suck up muck, don't lose suction unless the filters are clogged and you stick it in a bin bag when the collector is full. Anything above a DC02 (I think) has lifetime washable filters that you rinse every 6 months. Browsing the Dyson site yesterday I notice they've just released a commercial model for about 250 so time will tell how successful it is.

I'll go with Andrew Gabriel on this one, only I've got a DC01 from 1995/6 that's still going strong despite missing most of its front end fittings. All its done for the last 5 years is suck up exactly the sort of things Dyson recommend you DON'T suck up - building materials and plaster and the resulting dust that's all over the house.
Only recently has it started snapping fanbelts on an all too regular basis, but perhaps if I bought a new soleplate/brushbar and bumper AND put all the screws back in it might stop doing that :)
We've just got a DC07 too, and it cleaned our worst carpet in minutes - the thing nearly takes off by itself when you switch it on!
'Rah. -- cheers,
witchy/binarydinosaurs
(Huge) wrote:

buying another......
Steve

Sounds like yours is the atypical 'friday afternoon' one :) -- cheers,
witchy/binarydinosaurs

The 'Which' survey of members find it poor for reliability - and you really can't say it's their prejudices in this case. ;-)
--
*Born free...Taxed to death.

They look like they came out of the Teletubbies.
[8 lines snipped]

[5 lines snipped]

QED.
After nearly 10 years, our Zebo has the following parts replaced; <nil>
On 10 Dec 2003 20:03:24 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) wrote:

Does your Zebo regularly clean up building rubble/cement dust/plaster dust/have heavy things dropped on it/get dropped itself/fall over though?
More to the point, I've never heard of Zebo and 10 minutes googling has come up with nothing either, Got a link for them? I've found a Zebo that makes industrial drills, another one that I haven't translated but no mention of vacuums and Zebo polish. -- cheers,
witchy/binarydinosaurs
(Huge) wrote:

Take no notice of him.

Yep. It's the only vacuum cleaner we have. It gets used in the garage all the time.

My mistake. It's "Sebo". Go look at www.sebo.de
(They seem to have changed their site to all Flash since I last looked, so I can't look at it any more...)

A man after my own heart. Doesn't know the name of his vacuum cleaner.
--
*I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize *

*grin* Actually, the Vacuum Cleaner Operative is unwell at the moment, so I damn well *should* know what it's called.
On 11 Dec 2003 12:15:36 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) wrote:

On paper (ok, flash website) it looks like an Oreck XL and OK for medium to heavy domestic chores,, but I don't believe for a minute that it will suck up chunks of plasterwork/nails/wood shards/electrical wiring debris without puncturing the bag? How often do you come across those in hotel rooms apart from when the Strolling Bones have been in town and trashed the place?

One more question - running costs and purchase costs? OK that's 2 questions :) -- cheers,
witchy/binarydinosaurs
On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 20:33:57 +0000, Witchy

Eep! The X3 is over 300! The rest of 'em are round the DC07 price range if you look, though the only place I found easily that stocked 'em is electricshop.com. -- cheers,
witchy/binarydinosaurs