DIY mince pies a no-no

Page 4 of 5
N. Thornton wrote:

I suspect Teflon coated rollers don't have the desired properties when rolling pastry.
Steve
On 27 Dec 2003 05:29:07 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@meeow.co.uk (N. Thornton) wrote:

Cost - wooden roller costs about 20p to make - The 5mm wall thickness machined aloominum ones with PTFE/Teflon coating I'm talking about are I suspect an awful lot more than that.
Who (other than an Aga owner and then only if it was branded "Aga") would pay GBP25 for a rolling pin?
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

You just answered your own question :) Also there are companies who sell to people who pay high prices for fancy equipment, like Cucina for example. Just look up Peugeot pepper mills. I think the only non wooden rollers Ive seen were marble. Copier rollers would surely be better.
NT
N. Thornton wrote:

Too slippery, you need some drag to stretch the pastry as you roll it. I think it help develop the structure.
Steve

?
If you want to stretch the pastry you do it manually.
Stretching with a rolling pin deforms the resulting case or lid.
Mary

Does the toner add to the flavour of the mince pies?
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

No, but it helps develop the colour :-).
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

..... and makes them all look the same? ;-)
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
[12 lines snipped]

If you're being serious, please be careful. I worked next door to the selenium recovery plant on the site of a certain well-known copier manufacturer for several years, and those who worked in the plant had to wear serious protective clothing and have regular urine tests for selenium. And on the odd occasion you coulod smell selenium in the car park, the H&S people used to have a fit.
"Huge" snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk wrote in message

Cool. What are the other symptoms of selenium poisoning?

Dunno. I was an IT geek in a Tech Pubs department. We just happened to be next door to the selenium recovery plant.
Google searches for the topic seem to be heavily contaminated with "alternative" medicine loons confused as to what "trace elements" are.

ROFL!
Mary

Ah, I see. I woz whooshed.
On 24 Dec 2003 11:33:57 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) wrote:

Selenium is horrible stuff. I prefer to use a bath of molten saltpetre and caustic soda for bluing, and they're less than pleasant (you get to trade off the extra caustic properties for a lower eutectic melting point than plain potassium nitrate).
But cold solutions of selenium are less of a hazard than the old days of bursting overheated metal rectifiers. Now they really were a foulness you could taste.
-- Klein bottle for rent. Apply within.

BTW, I have a single barrel .410 "poachers gun" which has "browning", which is coming off in places. Is there any way to repair it?
On 27 Dec 2003 12:21:23 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) wrote:

Browning is just posh rust.
Dismantle, grease bits (like bore innards) that you don't want affected. Clean the surface (0000 wire wool) to an even surface and then degrease. Now brown it. A "browning cabinet" can be made from a warm airing cupboard full of damp washing. Steel lockers with lightbulbs and saucers of water work too. 24 hours usually suffices, but it's temperature dependent,
Like all this stuff, a good result is more about cleanliness beforehand, especially the degreasing. Browning is easy, but _even_ browning is harder. Rubbing gently with a white Webrax pad (the abrasive-free sort) every few hours can help to even things up.
I made this recently, which had the ironwork "aged" by browning it, then hot-oil bluing it. Browning first gives a rough surface so the oil adheres better. I used the shower as a browning cabinet. http://codesmiths.com/shed/things/boxes/sarah
-- Klein bottle for rent. Apply within.
writes

Bisto
--
geoff

Surely it doesn't usually take more than one?
Mary

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 23:46:12 -0000, "Mary Fisher"

I'll volunteer to hold your coat if you need to sort this out..... ;)
PoP

Given the toxicity, carcinogenicity and teratogenicity of some of the materials used in the construction & operation of large copiers, I hope that piece of advice is a joke.
:o|