DIY mince pies a no-no

So where did the original contents go then? ;)

PoP

PoP

We'll be into vacuum cleaner hoses next.....watch this space. ;)

PoP

PoP

I'll volunteer to hold your coat if you need to sort this out..... ;)

PoP

PoP

I though one of those rollers looked ideal too, but ISTR being told the selenium etc coatings were quite toxic, and they get scratched and chipped in use. Shame.

But you dont need a roller anyway, I've just pressed the pastry into place when ocasionally caught rollerless.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Hic!

Reply to
S Viemeister

parent. Big hassle trying to find a rolling pin in a local shop.

Given the toxicity, carcinogenicity and teratogenicity of some of the materials used in the construction & operation of large copiers, I hope that piece of advice is a joke.

:o|

Reply to
Huge

Oh, I do, I do. Killfiling you, for a start.

Reply to
Huge
[12 lines snipped]

If you're being serious, please be careful. I worked next door to the selenium recovery plant on the site of a certain well-known copier manufacturer for several years, and those who worked in the plant had to wear serious protective clothing and have regular urine tests for selenium. And on the odd occasion you coulod smell selenium in the car park, the H&S people used to have a fit.

Reply to
Huge

He was talking about fuser rollers. They don't have selenium on them (*), that's the photoreceptor rollers. And no copiers have been made with selenium photoreceptors for some years.

(* They're just contaminated with carbon black, the major component of toner, which I personally would not care to ingest.)

Reply to
Huge

Yep. Selenium's too toxic and has other shortcomings.

di-meta-tolyl-diphenylbiphenyldiamine

That well known copier manufacturer I mentioned has been using it since 1982.

Reply to
Huge

Cool. What are the other symptoms of selenium poisoning?

Reply to
Grant Mason

"Suz" wrote | I have used a wine bottle in the past - some californian ones are a | good shape. Thought seeing it was the kids I could do without that | story being retold in school.

Oh don't fool yourself, primary school teachers are experts at finding out all about children's home lifes.

"This afternoon children we're going to draw a shopping trolley and I want you to draw in all the things mummy and daddy buy when they go shopping.

"You've drawn some apples and some mange-tout, Tamsin, very nice. What's that Wayne, well that's not how you spell special brew, why don't you rub it out and change it into a nice packet of hob-nobs? I'm sure your mummy does buy hob-nobs Wayne. Oh. Well I'm sure daddy didn't mean to get angry with mummy when she bought hob-nobs instead of special brew. Don't do that, George."

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"Mary Fisher" wrote | Most hereabouts wouldn't eat a mince pie of those times anyway - | being made of minced meat as well as fruit.

The butcher's bill for Christmas meals at Holyrood in 1528 included £13.6s.8d fo 1,000 ox feet and 1,340 sheep feet.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Absolutely. My long departed mother bought in puff pastry despite making just about everything else.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Really ? What is the material these days out of interest ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve

No. The bits I'm talking about are substantial aluminium alloy tubes (about the size of a traditional rolling pin) coated with a layer of PTFE. Once cleaned they pose no risk at all (unless of course you annoy SWMBO while she has control of the device).

Reply to
Peter Parry

Dunno. I was an IT geek in a Tech Pubs department. We just happened to be next door to the selenium recovery plant.

Google searches for the topic seem to be heavily contaminated with "alternative" medicine loons confused as to what "trace elements" are.

Reply to
Huge

Known by the engineers as "donkey plonkers", BTW.

I'd run them through the dishwasher half a dozen times, then run the dishwasher empty a couple of times, myself, before using them for food preparation.

Reply to
Huge

Hrumph.

We weren't invited, were we folks?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I was going to say that since I've spent all afternoon making mince pies I'm too buggered to reply.

Then I decided against it.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher