DIY mince pies a no-no

In message , Suz writes

Ooh, you wouldn't eat a mince pie in 1657 - They were hated papal symbols and under Cromwell, this was in very bad taste (It just came up on QI as I read this post)

Reply to
geoff

Hmmm.....no, I won't. Anyway - that's why I use sherry bottles.

Happy Christmas, Mary.

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

In message , Mary Fisher writes

Filled with water, of course, to keep it cool.

Reply to
geoff

You're using Outlook Express and ICMFP :)

Does OE have a ROT13 setting? It's a way of encoding messages....though I think OE's method of encoding to a text-based medium is to apply HTML.

-- cheers,

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Reply to
Witchy

Like it says, it's ROT13'd. For the uninitiated, it means that it can be translated by swapping each letter with the letter 13 places up or down the aphabet. But you knew that really, didn't you!

Reply to
Set Square

Make, make ?

I have a wife to do that

/me is already running, catches coat, byee

Reply to
geoff

Big hassle trying to find a rolling pin in a local shop.

The fuser roller from a large photocopier is much better and PTFE coated.

Can just about live with that, its a fiddle to make.

Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! The brown coloured sugar paste with one token currant sold in 4 year old jars with a 5yr hence sell by date is not mincemeat. Mincemeat is a glorious blend of fresh spices, fruits, suet and brandy (or rum as you wish). Really simple to make. One sniff should clear you sinuses. You could stuff supermarket mincemeat up your nose with a JCB and would feel pain long before smelling anything (and even then its 'orrible).

You don't need to do this - your bottoms are simply a bit thick. Try rolling puff pastry to only about 2mm for mince pies.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Of course.

Reply to
S Viemeister

If you leave the broom on then it stops it rolling off the work surface.

Reply to
James Hart

Select the message, click on Message, then the Unscramble ROT13 option (2nd from bottom), then all will become clear.

Reply to
James Hart

In message , James Hart writes

If you really have nothing better in life to do, that is

Reply to
geoff

No wonder there are so few doorstep deliveries these days, the fun's gone out of it for the milkman!

And the same to you Sheila, and all my friends on this ng.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You haven't tried rolling with the business end attached, have you? :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

But not worth the energy.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Most hereabouts wouldn't eat a mince pie of those times anyway - being made of minced meat as well as fruit.

I would, have done, have made them, and very good they are. But not to modern palates, apparently.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

We don't all have access to a dead photocopier and a living one would be a tad gunged after mincepies.

But worth it.

But still better for maturing so that the alcohol is absorbed by the fruit. What I'm using today is what I made five years ago and wonderful.

Yes.

My sinuses aren't blocked ...

You're treading on thin ice here, Peter ... never tell a lady her bottom is a bit thick.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

: >>

: >> jung'f hacbyvgvpnyyl pbeerpg nobhg gung? : >> Fhmnaar : >>

: >>

: > What's all this crap about? : : : Like it says, it's ROT13'd. For the uninitiated, it means that it can be : translated by swapping each letter with the letter 13 places up or down the : aphabet. But you knew that really, didn't you! : -- : oh somebody had to get the anorak out! lol

Reply to
Suz

Our own mincemeat has been made that way ever since we were married (24 years...!). And very nice the mince pies are too. My wife gives away small jars of the mincemeat and is often asked for more.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In message , Mary Fisher writes

I really don't dare mention the image this conjures up

Reply to
geoff

Can there _be_ such poverty ?!

I think I have 6 around here. How else do you find anti-condensation heaters for the tool cupboard ? Power supplies for Kirlian photography ? Heater pads for a laminating fuser ? High-torque motors for a doorbell made from an old pipe organ and a bellows ?

You can even scrape the selenium off and use it for gun-blueing steel, but that's for the truly chemically brave.

BTW - I bake my own (shortcrust) mince pies. People are so much more impressed when a single bloke manages to do it.

-- Klein bottle for rent. Apply within.

Reply to
Andy Dingley