Diy as a Career

Page 2 of 2
On 27 Jan 2004 06:07:04 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Lobster) wrote:

You just need to remember to say the opposite when you go to the builder's merchants, and remember to have a bundle of tenners in the pocket of the ancient filthy jeans with the hole in the crotch area and worn below the beer storage facility such as to show the "cleavage" at the rear. This is worth at least 15% discount as long as you remember that everybody's name is "mate" and not to use the gold card.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

I don't know. They told me I had to go to the council offices in town (every single car park in town has a height restriction, even the open air one). There I can buy tipping licences for 50 quid each. A van load or a trailer load uses one voucher. Minimum purchase 10 (seriously!). You can only use the tip at certain times of day (Wednesdays and Thursdays from 10:15 until 10:19).
The alternative is to use my wife's car, which is a rather clean internally Nissan Micra. I think I'll just dump the rubble in the council car park, instead.
Christian.
On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 14:45:07 -0000, "Christian McArdle"

It's a city now, don't forget.

I'd dump it in their reception.
At 50 a pop it's cheaper to get a skip and you don't waste time waiting

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Christian McArdle wrote:

Why bother? A wheelie-bin-load a week gets rid of a lot of stuff over time and you only have to haul it to the front gate (which is quite an effort in itself when we've got a good load in ours :-)
FWIW skip-bags are quite a good vfm way of getting rid of intermediate amounts of rubbish (too much for the car/trailer, not enough to be worth hiring a skip). Though I agree it goes against the DIY ethos (having to pay for it, that is ;-)

Blame the Kiwi and Aussie contractors - it was they who collectively started the 100% dividend scam. My accountant specifically advised me not to do this because the Contributions Agency would successfully challenge it. Our Antipodean friends knew that any NI they paid was money lost since they didn't trust any so-called reciprocal NI arrangements, and at the first hint of 'trouble' they could nip back home.
As for having a 'stable economy' I don't regard rocketing house prices, notably in the London area (where the poster of the 'stable economy' lives) is an indication of a stable economy. Even at 15% interest the repayments on a 1 bed flat in London in 1991 was less than it is today at todays asset prices. Watch out for that EU directive 'forcing Noo Labour to impose Schedule A or CGT against their will' on us. If you think they can't - try and buy some Vapona strips (amongst other things) and ask yourself, 'Now who took these off the shelves'.

--
Andrew

So there are no flies on the IR?
--
*Learn from your parents' mistakes - use birth control

It's fair enough to close a tax loophole but it was done in the most bureaucratic way imaginable, designed to catch some people and leave the loophole open for others.
The way that Brown cashed in on corporate greed in the 3G auctions (a stealth tax on mobile users if ever there was one) was also a contributing factor to the boom and bust in the IT consulting market.
cheers, Pete.

You think the US is heavily unionised?
--
*Men are from Earth, women are from Earth. Deal with it.

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 00:03:39 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman

To be honest I don't know.
At American trade shows we've had problems with the Unions. you are only allowed to carry in to the show 2 bags maximum, any more must be handled by an official contractor who must use union labour. Want your kit to appear on the booth in time to set it up? Speak to the union guy. We did have one instance of the union guy pointing out how inconvenient it would be if our packaging stored out the back of the show "Went on fire". Ever heard of the Teamsters?
I imagine it's quite heavily unionised. But I think the success of the American economy has more to do with the size of the market coupled with the high cost of shipping in competing products, access to very cheap immigrant labour, protectionism, a low level of regulation, and the parlous state of the competing economies after WW2.
DG
On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 00:03:39 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman

In certain sectors, unfortunately it still is.
The recent debacle regarding steel was a demonstration of the untenability.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Yes. That and the single best thing Govt could have done, which is hand over control of interest rates to the BoE. Brown has done nothing more but put up stealth taxes and create jobs in Whitehall to monitor the real workers.
Shano
On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 22:58:19 +0000, Andrew

I was referring only to set up costs of forming the limited company. 20 - 25 can set it up. However, I have seen charges to do exactly the same vary between 200 and 500. Quite a difference

Only if you are nothing but a shareholder. In the average small business, you will also likely be a Director, who can still be held personally liable for a lot of things. IMO, good liability insurance is probably a better way to spend the money.
Colin Bignell
On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 16:19:28 -0000, "nightjar"

This is very true. If you have a small business as a limited company and arrange for your sister to be the director and the accountant to be the company secretary it looks on paper that the liability for them is only a small set of things such as making sure the company is solvent and filing the annual return.
However, if you are running the business day to day in the role that a director would normally take, then you are considered to be a shadow director and for most purposes that is considered to be equivalent to officially being the director.
For most one person operations of this type, it should be relatively close to a "cash" business in the sense that materials are bought and used on a job and then payment received shortly thereafter.
I suppose it might be useful to be a limited company in the case of wanting to take on large jobs if there is a risk of bad debts from customers.. Having said that, this ought to be tackled by a good business practice of stage payments. .andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
"Hi as anyone here started there own diy business, maybe if you have you could let me know how it went, problems as seriously considering after my lay off in August." [..]
yeh, there are plenty of them out there, commonly known as "Cowboys" (c;
Les
On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 16:36:54 +0000, in2minds wrote:

Not entirely fair. There are good and bad examples of work done by people who are doing for a living and those or are doing for themselves. The only difference I can tell is that the diy bodgers are more _creative_ than the professionals.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk