Does it count as DIY?

Just run the cars for 15 minutes with aircon on to keep the aircon oil circulated. Left me wondering: does this count as DIY if one is in want of a chauffeur?

Reply to
Robin

Preventative maintenance, I'd say. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Is that allowed, or would you have to prove that it was actually preventing something?

What about 'idling and the pollution?

I had a mate offer me to take his Merc out for a run yesterday. I (politely) turned him down.

1) Because 'he didn't need it going on a run', he has the opportunity to charge it outside his house if that was the issue and the money to buy a solar charger if the cba to plug one in the mains.

2) Taking a car for a run under these circumstances would count (to me and possibly the 5-O) as a good reason.

3) I've not been out in my own car for nearly 3 weeks and so if I was going to do that in any car, it would be my own.

And it's not a matter of 'who would know' or carrying some food with you as an excuse, it's all about not doing anything that could put any unnecessary load on the NHS.

Mum (90) said she was going to use the lockdown to have a 'good clearout' and I warned her against it. I reminded her that there were no charity shops open, the dump was closed and none of us would be available to run any such about if they were.

She took no notice of course and then caught her leg on the edge of a plastic crate and ripped a load of skin off. After it had soaked two tea towels in stuff, she was able to get it under control and a dressing on it.

She is 90, has a nice back garden and loves knitting, that's what she should have been doing, not risking us and the emergency services, or herself, had she had to go into hospital or even deal with a visiting nurse or paramedic.

Another mate said it was going to pop (in the car, 2 mins drive) down to Screwfix, Click N Collect. It sounded like he wanted to do something because he was bored, not because it was an 'emergency repair' or 'essential food / medical shopping'. When I questioned him he said he would be careful, wear / use PPE etc? I explained that wasn't the point, what of the AA driver or the Paramedic, should the worst happen and couldn't he have it delivered (or not bother doing it). I asked him of he couldn't walk there, assuming it wasn't too big / heavy but I didn't get a reply.

Why is it some people seem happy to risk 'getting away' with stuff, rather doing what they are supposed, that the rules don't apply to them?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Why is it people think they're not allowed out? We are not in a lockdown. All we are supposed to do is keep our distance from people. Inside your car you are not going to be able to cough over anyone are you?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Because it's the rules.

We are.

When outside when getting essential food, medical shopping or exercise.

Depends if you are still alive when the Fire Brigade / Paramedics get there after the accident, or the Ambulance get's you back to A&E alive to cough over the triage nurses?

Or the AA driver or petrol station cashier if you are lucky.

Right, now back in your box. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Another issue is that many holiday areas have barely adequate GP, pharmacy and hosptial facilities for their permanent populations. They simply could not cope with all the second homes, holiday cottages, etc., occupied permanently.

People on holiday do, of course, have accidents, but they don't usually need repeat prescriptions, hospital appointments and even covid-19 care.

The shops have also been struggling to supply permanent residents. (A lot of peole who did try went to the shops and tried to buy bog roll, hand sanitiser, beans, pasta and all the other things that were in short supply.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google