Digital transmission delays

I checked my always correct MSF controlled wristwatch against my computers internet derived clock and my phones clock, all agreed to a fraction of a second, but Big Ben was late on the TV by ten whole seconds. I spent several minutes moaning about Big Ben being wrong, before I twigged that it was late due to the digital transmission delays :-)

I fall for it every time...

Happy New Year everyone!

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

The delay due to FreeView (and your own set) isn't as great as 10 seconds. More like 2/3.

So if there really was that sort of error, and assuming Big Ben was spot on as it usually is at this time of the year, there must have been added delay because of the outside broadcast links or whatever.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We never have live TV these days , there is a 7 second delay on all "live" output plus extras. eg last night uncontrolled TV feed from Dubai and say a very obvious body came flying out of that Dubai hotel on fire , then the gallery has plenty of time to cut the feed before retransmission to the UK, actionable slander from an interviewee etc. Plus 3 seconds or so, very variable , codec delays in the transmission and reception.

I noticed for Hong Kong new year is was 10 seconds past the hour on my analogue system Rugby timed clock.

Reply to
N_Cook

My DAB radio doesn't seem much better although I don't know how much delay it has. BBC stations on iPlayer Radio are also affected.

Reply to
pamela

Listen to some of the medium wave stations which seem to be distributed by internet, and you hear at best an echo, at worst the effect you mention. Commercial stations are far worse in that respect. You know what this means though, if you are listening to a bloke about to blow the world up, you will never hear why. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

It can be that bad though. I've heard it on't radio. Now maybe they have a delay deliberately like many stations who take phone calls have to allow the presenter to hit the dump switch when somebody swears or starts a rant. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

So when you hear the news anchor say, this report may contain images of a disturbing nature, they either already cynically know as its a recording, or they want to sex up their live feeds. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

DAB has generally a bigger delay than the same radio station via FreeView. Not quite sure why - although it is older technology.

I do remember working on a live TV broadcast from Westminster many years ago in the analogue days, and I heard the clock striking first in my headphones, just before hearing the live sound.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Or expresses a view held by the silent majority.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Why would you need any delay if they are silent?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Forgot to say you won't see seconds on the new super-duper all bells and whistles modern digital "teletext", minutes only these days. Back in the days of proper VITS analogue TV days the seconds on teletext were always within half a second of any Rugby timed clock.

Reply to
N_Cook

It is a bit weird though - but does anyone rely on the "pips" over the radio for setting their watches these days?

I listen to the radio in the mornings usually via the bbc iPlayer radio thing on my phone - it's some 6-7 seconds behind the DAB radio in the kitchen - which itself is behind real time by some unknown amount...

Also noticable is TV feeds - not just the channel production imposed delays on "live" stuff now, but whether its being recieved via Freeview or Sky - I was in out local euronics shop the other day when I noticed it - they had a wall of TVs and one half was Sky, the other Freeview and the Sky side was lagging by half a second or so.

Indeed!

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

It's rather further to the satellite and back than from the local Freeview transmiter...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I didn't bother more than a half look over my shoulder to see if I could see one of the NTP synced PC clocks as the chimes rang out I couldn't so just watched the (rather boring this year, but exposures and coverage was better) fireworks.

Last year I had the tablet streaming a "live" feed that was >10 seconds behind DSAT.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Usual cobblers from the plowperson. Ive got two TV sets, a computer with a freeview dongle, and also watch TV online. The same station can be up to 20 seconds different on the different devices.

Its entirely down to how much buffering they decide to put in.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

haha. +1

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Cite.

Except you need the 7 second delayed (to use) and the non-delayed version (to montor for "profanity") from *all* available sources in the gallery. Technically possible, operationally complex, 50:50 chance that director/vision mixer will watch/listen to "wrong" version and how does the vision/sound mixer mix without watching/listening actual output?

Live studio interview between anchor and interviewee, some slander from interviewee. Where do you go?

Much easier to take things "live" and should something grim appear or blatantly slanderous said, cut away quickly to the anchor who apologises. Those images/words never to be aired again. With the studio intervew the anchor has to get the interviewee to shutup/apologise and/or lead to another item not in the studio.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Gordon Henderson has brought this to us :

I gave up setting clocks and watches years ago...

Weather station, watch and several clocks take it from MSF. Computers from internet time servers, phones from the local cell network, carnav system from RDS/GPS. That just leaves the microwave and double oven in the kitchen needing to be set when I can be bothered. The CH clock, just never seems to need to be adjusted, it keeps pretty good time and auto BST/GMT switches.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

My NTP synced clock in the sitting changed about 3 seconds before Jools reached "zero" ... I assume that's the Freeview delay.

Reply to
Huge

TV sets on Freeview? Computer dongle on Freeview? Difference between them down to different buffering "they" put in the transmission chain? I don't think so. Different buffering in *your* devices, yes.

Online streaming feeds will have very variable buffering both in the 'net and your devices.

I only get to see the full Live OB > Contribution > Broadcaster > Distribution > DSAT > same OB round trip time. That, with fibre links apart from final delivery via DSAT, is >10 seconds. Around half a second of that is just getting through the OB truck and into the fibre...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice