Digital transmission delays

I think that the FM feeds have changed recently from NICAM to an IP based system so thats not as good as it once was.

Best and most actuate now is the 60 kHz time service from Anthorn just calculate the distance you are from their main TX...

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , Dave Liquorice scribeth thus

Which may be satellite fed anyway;!

Reply to
tony sayer

Unlikely: In the UK the damned things are all on microwave or fibre links I think.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Good GPS receivers should give you the correct time - they know how far they are from various atomic clocks.

I've used some that actually have a tick coming off the chipset, and the tick is insanely accurate.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

If I'm not mistaken, and it's the same chap, he was at CERN when I started there in 1968. Madcap skier, who, on my first day out skiing (I'd done a bit before in Scotland), suggested I follow him down a black run. Big mistake which led to me being on crutches for ten days - ha! About a year later he'd left CERN to work in sound back in the UK and I lost touch.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Now I get it.

That's interesting. Reminds me, before I took ill some years ago, I was starting to experiment with very small electret mics like Knowles FG or Countryman B6. It's a bit of a blur now because I got more and more ill around that time. Nowadays I use my Knowles just as a PC mic.

Reply to
pamela

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

Try watching cricket on Sky TV, listening to it on DAB TMS and LW TMS at the same time. Then come back and claim the delay can not be 10secs

For non-cricket lovers even DAB TMS will be more than a whole delivery ahead of the TV. Digital transmission uses store-and forward on each link so the delays are cumulative.

Reply to
bert

I'm actually more interested in a high accuracy frequency reference!.

Reply to
tony sayer

Not always they use satellite feeds in a lot of instances and on your serving TX I think !..

Reply to
tony sayer

Did a 3 month Summer School there in 1970. Great fun.

Reply to
newshound

Right. I'd sort of thought he was there all the time I was at the BBC - ie

62 - 76. But it was a big place.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You may well still want to look at GPS receivers. They must have a local clock accurate to very small values over short periods, or they can't decode their position. Over long periods they are using the atomic clocks in the satellites.

Whether you can find one that will publish the clocks is a different matter.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Yes Andy they are commercially available but seeing i have a perfectly operational off air one does seem a shame. Still Droitwich on 198 K hasn't shut down as yet, and if the BBC have any sense I think they'll keep it on the go a while longer.

Cheers.

Reply to
tony sayer

I think its the number of virgins they have to sacrifice, or greens they have to burn, to keep it going, that upsets them.

Interesting theory - the more cell towers/broadcast transmitters you have, the less actual power you need to get a given total bandwidth.

Droitwich is really BAD from that POV.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher