dichloromethane

I didnt realise this was still available for professional use as a paint stripper. I believe this is what the `old` nitromors` used.

Reply to
ss

Wouldn't it be awful if mere amateurs could buy gallon tins of it on ebay/amazon?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Scandalous!

Chris Hogg

I was thinking less of the pure liquid, more of gloopy stripper such as

Unless you're making 'drinking birds' on an industrial scale.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Is that what's in them. I didn't know. I have one somewhere, from decades ago.

But back to the OP's comment, Nitromors seems to be still available;

is it just old stock or is it still being manufactured?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Not what it used to be. It's just kept the same name.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Is it not a CFC though. I thought anything with Chlorine in it was bad news. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

CFC = Chlorinated FLUOROCARBCON.

Not Hydrocarbon

"A chlorofluorocarbon (CFC) is an organic compound that contains only carbon, chlorine, and fluorine,"

"Dichloromethane (DCM, or methylene chloride) is an organic compound with the formula CH2Cl2."

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No fluorine in it, though, is there?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Is this one shipped from Russia in this container ?.

Reply to
Andrew

dichloromethane is often used for joining acrylic,hold the pieces together and apply small amount which immediately goes to the whole joint solvent welding the parts, You can also use chloroform,(trichloromethane)

Reply to
F Murtz

It's an "eco" re-formulation under the same name, but a different product ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I used to use Tensol Cement for perspex, which is chloroform with perspex dissolved in it. It was a tin which my father bought, and was marked "Use by Aug 1969" on it, but worked perectly until it ran out a few years ago.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

A word of warning. If you do use dichloromethane (aka methylene chloride, methane dichloride, methylene dichloride) make sure that there are no naked flames in the vicinity (eg when welding, heat treating and particularly smoking) and that the area is well ventilated as the first world war poison gas phosgene can be created and even low levels can cause permanent lung damage which is cumulative. eg see:

and as can be seen about a third of the way down the wikipedia page its conversion to phosgene and subsequent reaction with a copper reacion plate was used by refrigerant plant engineers to test for leaks:

Just be aware and careful.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

When I was a lad, and we'd all meet up and fix our old motorbikes in a friends garage, we'd use dichloromethane and trichloromethane to clean the bits because his dad could get loads of it as he worked at the local ICI. In winter, we'd have a Primus stove blazing away in an attempt to warm the place up, and it was clear from the smell that something unpleasant was being created.

These days, I even notice something similar, but less irritating, if I've been painting, and then turn on a gas hob in the kitchen.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre