Removing (a large and fresh) tree stump

Had a (Cherry) tree removed a few days ago, and want the stump out of the way.
Diameter of the stump is around 50cm+ - the tree was around 15m+ high - with some serious visible roots as well, so using my usual method of digging looks like serious hard work.
A quick look at Google suggests drilling plenty of 1" holes, around 10" deep, filling with Potassium nitrate granules, then water, and leave for around a month to rot before breaking it down with a mattock or similar.
Sounds a bit too good to be true...
Has anyone had an experience with this method? or car perhaps suggest an alternative?
On Wed, 20 Apr 2016 00:12:16 +0100

That is one possibility, of course. I believe Jeeps are good for that sort of thing. There was an ancient Rolls-Royce used in Australia for this purpose.
--
Davey.

writes

Go British - Land Rover Defender does a good job. Unfortunately sounds like the OP has already chopped off the trunk.
--
bert

JoeJoe wrote:

Bought the potassium nitrate for that purpose a year ago but have not had one of those round things yet but will tell you if I ever get one.
On Wednesday, 20 April 2016 01:05:00 UTC+1, F Murtz wrote:

I didn't think one could buy potassium nitrate in the UK any more.

[20 lines snipped]

Currently unavailable. We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
--
Today is Setting Orange, the 37th day of Discord in the YOLD 3182
I don't have an attitude problem.
On 20/04/2016 10:44, Huge wrote:

Oops - was the top of the page on Google, but didn't look carefully enough...
Plenty of others on eBay and elsewhere though.
On Wednesday, 20 April 2016 10:37:25 UTC+1, JoeJoe wrote:

"Currently unavailable".
On 20/04/16 00:12, JoeJoe wrote:

MInidigger.
Unearth the laterals with that, cut them if they wont pull up and then hoick the thing out
On Wednesday, 20 April 2016 00:12:21 UTC+1, JoeJoe wrote:

There's always this method.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQO04QVKg9k

It'd be interesting to see how many of those blowers would actually last that long.
Lot less effort to hire a stump muncher.

Some suggestions for removing stumps on the RHS web site, here http://tinyurl.com/jkgb72z . For chemical methods they suggest a proprietary stump killer, most of which contain glyphosate (note that the lovely EU is about to ban glyphosate for amateur use). But I'm not sure this will accelerate rotting, but merely kill the stump and prevent regrowth either from the stump itself of via root suckers. Potassium nitrate is available on ebay (which surprises me. Expect a visit from the security services?) http://tinyurl.com/zw4du7l But again, will it accelerate rotting? I'm not convinced. Stumps can take many decades to rot away. For complete and certain removal of the stump, hire a stump grinder and d-i-y http://tinyurl.com/zuwtmxq although the underground roots will remain.
Failing any of that, make a feature out of it!
--

Chris

On 20/04/2016 08:26, Chris Hogg wrote: ...

I know of an amateur rocket experimenter who became a person of interest to the Police after buying ammonium nitrate.
--
Colin Bignell

On Wed, 20 Apr 2016 10:52:29 +0100, "Nightjar <cpb" <"insert my surname here>.me.uk"> wrote:

It's the principle oxidant in many of the sort of bulk industrial explosives used in e.g. quarrying, usually mixed on-site immediately before use and poured straight down the drill-hole, to avoid having local stocks that could be stolen, apart from being a common fertiliser for agricultural use.
--

Chris

On 20/04/2016 11:04, Chris Hogg wrote:

I suspect that these days my sixth form chemistry text book would be classed as a publication likely to be of assistance to terrorists.
--
Colin Bignell

On Wed, 20 Apr 2016 18:24:27 +0100 "Nightjar <cpb" <"insert my surname here>.me.uk"> wrote:

When I was at school, there was an old text book in the Science Dept. library. It had details of how to make a wireless transmitter, and clearly described how to set up the gap for correct creation of the signalling spark.
Also, I once worked for the transport division, ie lorries, of a big confectionery company. The dept. had a device for firing a spot of chalk at the ground when the lorry test driver hit the brake pedal, so that the braking distance could be measured. The operator had to have a firearms license to prime the 'gun'.
--
Davey.

On 2016-04-20, Nightjar <cpb <"insert my surname here>.me.uk"> wrote:

Google "ANFO". Still needs a high explosive to initiate it, though.

Quite.
I'm presently watching "Breaking Bad" on Netflix. I suspect my Google searches as a result may have popped up somewhere. No, I have no intention of starting to "cook" methamphetamine.
--
Today is Setting Orange, the 37th day of Discord in the YOLD 3182
I don't have an attitude problem.
JoeJoe wrote:

Rent a stump grinder for a day, about £80 I think.

This.