Tree Stump Killers

Gentlemen,

Has anyone used one of those chemical (or biological) tree stump dissolving preparations to remove a stubborn, semi-rotten, broken-off fence post stump and if so, how long did it take to work and any brand recommendations, please?

cheers.

Reply to
cd

In forestry they apply a fungus spore culture to tree stumps to get rid of them. Takes two or three years to work.

Your fence post may well be treated with an arsenic compound so the outer parts won't be affected by fungus. Just use a hammer and chisel/long drill to get it out.

Reply to
harryagain

AIUI tree stump killers are just that: killers. They don't actually accelerate rotting, so won't be of much use for treating a fence post stump, as it's already dead! As Harry says, hammer, chisel, drill etc. i.e. hard work!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

You can drill some holes and pour potassium nitrate in the holes which should accelerate rotting, and after many months light a fire on it and is should slowly burn from the inside.

Reply to
F Murtz

Just get down on your knees with a hammer and chisel. It doesn't take that long to chip off enough to get it below ground level.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

I have a huge tree stump just above ground and I am debating with my self whether to do the potassium nitrate bit or setting to it with the angle grinder and a carving disc.

Reply to
F Murtz

Can you get potassium nitrate these days? I see plenty listed on Ebay, but it's all from either the US or Germany. I suspect the anti-terrorist squad might be interested if you attempted to buy any!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

There's also Amazon (Malcolm 4531 sells it for £3.85 a kilo + postage (maybe + tax as well)

John

Reply to
A. N. Other

It is not a particularely nasty chemical(you can make old fashioned gunpowder from it)It is not a favorite of terrorists. It has lots of other common uses,Once called saltpetre.

Reply to
F Murtz

True, particularly if 'Tree Stump' is the name one of one of their field agents.

Reply to
RayL12