Puncture resistant work gloves

The wife became enamored of mediterranean fan palms and planted quite a few of them on the property. Admittedly, they are attractive, but they have extremely nasty, hypodermic needle-like thorns all over the stalks of the fronds.

Unfortunately, these little bastards must be pruned of dead fronds, at least on a yearly basis and the fronds then get stuffed into large waste containers.

The problem is, the thorns are so sharp and so fine that they easily puncture my high quality leather work gloves, quite frequently.

Does anyone know of durable, puncture resistant work gloves that might help end some of the blood letting?

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

Very thick leather ? perhaps .. like the blacksmith guys use ? ... dunno. Some of the special protective gloves are meant for sharp edges < glass or carving tools > rather than points .. Chainsaw gloves ? Let us all know if you find something.

John T.

Reply to
hubops

On Mon 05 Jun 2017 03:22:39p, Stormin' Norman told us...

Butcher's Steel Mesh Gloves

&AdKeyword=steel%20mesh%

20gloves&AdMatchtype=p&gclid=CJ_h6Pjlp9QCFUZrfgodUCEJ7g&gclsrc=aw.ds
Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Meant for for sharp blades - but thorns ? John T.

Reply to
hubops

Thanks, but the needle like thorns would go right through those.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

all sorts of stuff if you look.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

Who would have thought to look on Amazon or Google......... ;-)

Been there, done that, thanks. I was hoping to find someone who had personal experience and who could make a product recommendation on that basis.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

well, you certainly didn't state that. :)

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

Go to your local needle exchange and ask the workers what gloves they use.

Reply to
catalpa

Surd do

I'd try cheaper leather ones first though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I did not use those precise words, no.

However, asking " Does anyone know of durable, puncture resistant work gloves that might help end some of the blood letting?" would seem to solicit personal knowledge based upon experience.

In the future, I shall make an effort toward greater clarity in my requests.

How about this: I am looking for recommendations based upon first hand experience, please, no replies from those whose expertise is based upon search engines or retailers?

No, that comes across as condescending, which would take the fun away from those folks who like to post search results in an attempt to be condescending.......... ;-)

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

Ahhh, good old McMaster Carr. I used to love having their catalog around, mostly as a reference.

Have you personally used any of the gloves on that page? What were you handling and what were your experiences?

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

I pointed you to what I know to be "durable, puncture resistant work gloves that might help end some of the blood letting".

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

Okay, you win. Time for dinner.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

On Mon 05 Jun 2017 04:02:49p, told us...

Yes, they will work with thorns.,

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 05 Jun 2017 04:04:22p, Stormin' Norman told us...

Not necessarily. It depends on the partaicular mesh glove. I've seen some landscape maintenance guys using them when they're working with cactus and palms here in AZ.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

I've not used them but ordered a pair of the $59 ones for one of the maintenance guys. They worked for him handling metal trimmings with burrs.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Also try looking for "extrication" gloves used by the fire service. These are usually made using Kevlar. While these provide superior protection for cuts etc at a car wreck, they should also provide the puncture resistance requested here. These cost about the same as the ones form McMaster refere nced up topic.

Dan

Reply to
dansabrservices