removing a tree stump

The stump which is a horse chestnut was chopped down about 2 month ago, it is about 15 inch in diameter, if I dig round it how deep will I heed to go before I reached the roots, and would I need a axe or a chainsaw, and could I lift it?

Could I burn it out by using charcoal or coal, petrol any thing like that

or use

Keith Hampson

Could I burn it out by using charcoal or coal, petrol any thing like that

or use

Boots

Put a metal surrounding to it like a large bucket or washtub and keep that charcoal going. It's still green wood although dormant this time of year but constant feeding of the charcoal should eventually burn it all the way below the ground line. If it's a tall stump use a metal drum to contain the coals.

Or you could rent a stump grinder. Those things really do the trick in hurry.

Reply to
James

Get a stump grinder for that tree stump! The burning digging cutting things you envision are a lot of work and lot to clean up. A grinder will be thru it in short order.

Reply to
Mike LaMana

15-inch gauge is a big tree for taking out by hand, even with a stump grinder. If you're in a place where it is legal to do so, you could blast it out. You want "stumping" dynamite, which is a relatively safe-and-sane 20% NG, and you may need a local permit to store and use the stuff.
Reply to
Christopher Green

mushroom plugs from

They will do the trick, although slowly, and give you about ten years of mushrooms.

Reply to
simy1

I removed an apple tree stump a little bigger than that last summer. I dug under it until I found a reversed saddle of roots under it. I placed a 1' x

3' chunk of 3/4" plywood into the hole, then rolled my floor jack down the plywood so the lifting part was under the saddle. Then I just jacked it up as far as I could, prop'ed it up with a block of wood, repositioned the jack, and jacked again. It took about 2 hours to remove it. I then washed the dirt off the roots, and cut it up with my chainsaw.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Years ago my father drilled deep holes in some stumps, filled them with fertilizer, and waited for them to decompose. It took a couple of years, but it worked. I don't know if the fertilizer accelerated the decomposition or not.

Today, I would be > The stump which is a horse chestnut was chopped down about 2 month ago, it

Reply to
William Brown