Germinating seeds

I'm new at gardening, but I'm interested in capturing seeds to trees/bushes/plants that I like and trying to grow them. So, after doing some initial research, I have collected some seeds to a Crepe Myrtle and a couple evergreen trees, placed them in a bag, put them in my freezer for 21 days (simulating a winter). This is where I currently stand. The germinating process follows, and from my reading, I came across information that warns of harmful bacteria or insects in the soil used to plant the seeds. It recommended boiling the soil to protect the seed from disease. Can anyone give me more information on this? Or, is this something I should skip? If so, what type of soil should I use to plant?

Thanks!

Reply to
Broman24

Boiling the soil. Are you serious? I have solarized soil and baked it in an oven but never boiled to rid it of disease like blight. I really think all you need to do is buy a bag of seed starter or potting soil and not worry about treating your soil. Seed germinate in nature with all the normal bacteria, mold and fungi etc. present. Relax and go for it.

Have Fun

Jim

Reply to
Jim Marrs

Hi Broman,

I agree with Jim. And if you decide to bake it in the oven, I warn yo that the smell will have you eating out that night! Here's some site that should be helpful. Oh, and not all seeds need to be chille (scarified).

fun! New

-- Newt

Reply to
Newt

Buy a bag of commercial potting soil. It has been sterilized to free it from weed seeds. In the sterilization process, the soil microorganisms are killed, both harmful and beneficial. However, this won't affect germination. It's much easier to buy a bag of potting soil than it is to try to make your own.

The most common harmful microorganism encountered in starting seeds is a fungus that causes "damping off". This is a condition in which the stem of the newly emerged plant dies right at the soil line. The fungus attacks the plant right there. Keeping the humidity down at the air-soil interface will reduce damping off significantly. A fan in the room where you are starting the seedlings will circulate air and keep the water that evaporates from the soil from building up humidity in the area.

PS: scarificati> Jim Marrs Wrote:

Reply to
dps

dps, thank you for the correction. The hour was late and I was rushed Actually I was thinking of scarify - to chill the seeds. New

-- Newt

Reply to
Newt