Rotozip: Still available?

I have seen Rotozip Rebel on E-Bay... They have a few of them, to be sold for 25 quid +PnP.

Item number: 2369468093

Can I have an honest opinion, is it worth it?

what is the state of accessory availability in the UK at the moment? (I'm overseas, that's why I can't go and look myself - sorry!) I had in mind the disc attachment (like an angle grinder)...

TIA 4 any help

Reply to
Abdullah Eyles

25 quid's not a bad price if it's the full kit with all the attachments, and from here I know you can still get the bits though I'm not sure if the zip bits for B&Qs own 'rotary cutter' will fit.

Best use of mine so far was cutting ceramic tiles, though the noise it makes sets yer teeth on end and scares all domestic animals away :)

I've used it for cutting floorboards where I couldn't get a jigsaw or any other sort of saw in, though it takes *ages*, still makes a noise from hell and it's a right bugger to keep it in a straight line since it naturally wants to hop off in the opposite direction to rotation.

The angle attachment I've used once and it's bloody scary! The instructions say 'test in a controlled environment such as a barrel or oil drum' - yeah *right*. You've got a thing spinning at 20,000+ RPM inches from your face and all I was using it for was sanding the doorframe of our shed so the door would actually fit. Frightening.

Angle grinder, dunno, but I guess rules for all angle grinders apply. At least that one has a guard on it, whereas the sanding attachments don't.

just my 2p :)

-- cheers,

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Reply to
Witchy

I bought mine on ebay for £25 fairly recently just like that one. Mine came with a circle cutting attachment (haven't used it yet) as well, but otherwise same box.

I find it useful for some things, but perhaps not as useful as I had originally hoped. It isn't an ideal freehand tool if you are cutting something solid (like wood), but something like plasterboard is a piece of cake - but then a hand saw would do the same thing.

The main reason I bought it was that I wanted something bigger than a dremel but smaller than a router. It fills that niche quite well, and for £25 there's no harm done.

Warning: A tool like a rotozip could easily be lethal - it's intended to be used freehand but that cutter whizzing round could do nasty things to you if you aren't careful.

PoP

PoP

I bought one off ebay for £25 good value but i only use it for drywalling which its very capable of doing.

steve

Reply to
SJ

I thought it would be good for drylining board (Fermacell) but it is very hard to follow a straight line, I am beginning to think it is something that will be stored away to gather dust.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I used mine to cut a neat channel out of plasterboard a couple of weeks ago. What I did was take a length of 6in melamine chipboard which I have lying around the workshop for those odd jobs that require a straight edge, drilled a couple of holes thru it, then screwed the melamine to the wall via a couple of hastily drilled and rawlpluged holes.

I was then able to run the rotozips fence along the edge of the melamine, using it as a router running against a guide.

Worked a treat - and really didn't take any time to set up.

The couple of holes I left in the wall don't matter - they are out of sight behind a bath. But they could have been easily filled if need be.

I've tried rotozipping freehand, but it doesn't work too well as it has a tendency to wander.

PoP

PoP

That's what they were designed for originally - a quick way of cutting out socket and switch holes etc in drywalls.

-- cheers,

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Reply to
Witchy

Depends on the drywall .... plasterboard - POK, but it struggles on Fermacell ..... and that is what I have used throughout my place.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes