Plug-in MCB's still available?

My elderly mother's house still has re-wireable fuses. Nothing wrong with that, but one of the lighting 5A circuit fuses went the other day, fortunat ely while I was there.
It was a melt type failure - ie just an aging piece of fuse wire - but it d id make me wonder about the ease anyone else would have in sorting this out for her in comparison to just being able to flip an MCB back on.
Unfortunately the electrics is complicated by it being a three phase supply which my father split between various sections of the house in three 3 way fuse boxes. There is inadequate height to fit a 9/10 way CU without moving the meter which in turn might land us with Scottish Power looking for mone y and possibly a new incomer, etc.
So a plug-in MCB is attractive but can you still get them ?
Thanks Rob
My elderly mother's house still has re-wireable fuses. Nothing wrong with that, but one of the lighting 5A circuit fuses went the other day, fortunately while I was there.
It was a melt type failure - ie just an aging piece of fuse wire - but it did make me wonder about the ease anyone else would have in sorting this out for her in comparison to just being able to flip an MCB back on.
Unfortunately the electrics is complicated by it being a three phase supply which my father split between various sections of the house in three 3 way fuse boxes. There is inadequate height to fit a 9/10 way CU without moving the meter which in turn might land us with Scottish Power looking for money and possibly a new incomer, etc.
So a plug-in MCB is attractive but can you still get them ?
Is it a Wylex fuse board? If so then yes.
--
Adam

[...]

ARW wrote:

Was that 1 reply for each phase Adam??

No. I am just using a shit newsreader.
--
Adam

On 23/11/2013 11:04, robgraham wrote:

You can get them for Wylex style boxes:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Consumer_Units_Index/Wylex_Standard_Range/index.html
(although check the supply impedance, because unlike DIN rail mounting MCBs that have 6kA braking capacity, these only have 3kA)
--
Cheers,

John.

and the earlier push-button ones were only 1kA.
Also, check the Wylex CU carefully. It's common for old ones (well, probably all of them now) to have got some hot connections over the years. I've seen it on the blade contacts themselves, and also where other parts of current carrying metalwork are connected. Shows up as melted insulation on the wires at the terminals, and/or bakalite crumbling away.
--
Andrew Gabriel

Not according to Screwfix:-)
http://www.screwfix.com/p/wylex-16A and Fuck me Screwfix claim it is rated at 6kA SCC/34544
--
Adam

http://www.screwfix.com/p/wylex-16A and Fuck me Screwfix claim it is rated at 6kA SCC/34544
--
Adam

On 24/11/2013 17:29, ARW wrote:

That link gets me a 404...
This one:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/wylex-6a-sp-type-b-curve-mcb/48030
shows 3kA though...
--
Cheers,

John.
On 24/11/2013 20:34, John Rumm wrote:

in fact, it says 3kA at the top, and 6kA at the bottom of the page, so take your pick ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.

My pick? I suggest that if anyone does not like Screwfix then they should report them to trading standards.
They are selling a 3kA MCB and saying that it's a 6kA MCB in the specifications.
--
Adam

Recent CPC flyer lists a whole range (of, I think, Wylex plug-in MCBs as fuse replacements, though I'm not sure if they're the same height as a fuse - if not, a new cover might be needed).
--
Windmill, snipped-for-privacy@NoneHome.com Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ S c o t s h o m e . c o m
     snipped-for-privacy@Freeola.net.invalid (Windmill) writes:

You have to cut a hole in the top of the cover. You must not leave the cover off.
--
Andrew Gabriel
On 23/11/2013 18:38, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I find it rare to find a wylex CU that still has its cover...
--
Cheers,

John.
writes:

And there are two types of Wylex cover. One needs a screwdriver to remove it, the is opened with a thumb screw.
--
Adam

The cover - with the front knocked out - holds the RCD bases in place.
--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18
writes:

Come on Charles. RCD?. Blonde or senior moment allowed for your small error:-)
--
Adam

senior moment - MCB . cant be blond -it's gey and there isn't much of it.
--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18