another one for the adepts:-)

adsl2+

I have just been notified that my exchange is being *upgraded* in early Dec. There is a hint in the notification that not all routers will be suitable.

Superficially, the Thomson speedtouch 585v6 I use does not appear capable. However, in the blurb sent with it, was some documentation claiming adsl2+ capability.

Also a hardware upgrade can be implemented if needed.

er... Do I wait to see if all is well in Dec.? Attempt an upgrade now.? Cleverly check suitability? or?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Presumably from 20CN to 21CN? Which exchange?

Short answer ... you'll be fine.

Reply to
Andy Burns

very few routers built in the last ten years cant do ADSL2+ or whatever its called.,

I can't actually recall one that cannot..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Surely you mean a firmware upgrade?

If you are upgrading hardware, you may as well buy a new router!

Have a look on the Sam Knows website to find out what speed you should be able receive at your address:

'SamKnows - Broadband Availability Checker'

This will give you an indication as to whether the upgrade will allow you to receive significantly faster speeds.

Reply to
M.Joshi

I do random speed tests here, and one day I was shocked to find the usual 7Mbps had gone up to 10+.

Yes, we'd been upgraded a month previously...:-)

Reply to
Terry Fields

In message , Terry Fields writes

I was worried by the stuff that Demon sent out, but it has happened here and I just seemed to have a few days of short outages (not specifically at days listed in the schedule), and the speed went up to 10+ (eg today it measures 15Mbps) from the previous 4Mbps. Speed now seems faster but more variable. I didn't have to do anything - it just happened.

I have been having router woes - at the moment I'm on a Netgear - but I think that Speedtouch is ADSL2+ capable.

Reply to
Bill

Don't forget to ask your ISP if they can up your profile type - unless you're a long way from the exchange or whatever, that's good, but not excellent for ADSDL+. TalkTalk tried to lock mine down to give 10Mb/s but a long argument got it up to nearly 15 Mb/s. Their claim that it results in too many errors doesn't necessarily mean a thing - there are none here.

Reply to
Bob Henson

It was always marketed as being ADSL2+ compatible.

You may find it will sort itself on the day or the next time you connect after it.

The benefit you get (if any) will depend on your distance from the exchange. As a rule of thumb, if you are getting 4Mbps or less now, ADSL2 may not improve it.

Reply to
John Rumm

Wheathampstead.

Thanks

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , M. Joshi writes

Yes. Sluggish brain cells:-)

It should do 6 meg but currently runs between 3 and 4

Huh! All those air rifle pellets I pinged off the overheads as a youth are coming home to roost:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Oh. I used to get 5 to 5.6 but the overhead line passes through some trees and the Autumn high winds made the connection very flaky and eventually we lost voice. The line was repaired and initially stabilised at 4.2meg. However, gradually over 3 weeks it has dropped to 3.25 on occasion. Currently, drizzly Sat. evening it averages 4.85 down, 0.40 up with a ping (Maidenhead) of 219mS.

Unfortunately the multicore bypasses us for two poles and then comes back. Don't ask how I know this!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In that case you may not see a great improvement see

speedtouch 585v6 is not a great router but will work ok with ADSL2+

-
Reply to
Mark

And even if they can't your ADSL2+ line will adapt to it. You won't lose service.

Reply to
bert

In message , bert writes

OK all. I feel reassured:-)