KeepRite DC90 Heat Exchange ring popped

I've just had someone in for yearly maintenance on my furnace - a KeepRite DC90. The guy discovered a popped ring in the heat exchange and told me that this was pretty common with this model.

I'm just wondering the validity of this statement, since I'm not able to find a single scrap of information in Google groups or on the web itself regarding this issue.

I've been told that the repair will cost $500 and due to regulation/law, the gas will not be turned back onto the furnace until the repair is complete.. I'm really just looking for any information I can get my hands on at this point.

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
lane

"lane" wrote in news:1162850098.271908.77440 @m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

The Keeprites had a history of this from around 1990 to 1998. The heat exchangers were held together with large crimped rings, which would pop out, allowing the two halves of the exchanger to separate. You could sometimes see them lying on top of the blower panel inside the housing, but only if you could open the plenum and look down with a boroscope. Sometimes the rings would end up in the blower housing below the squirel cage. The tell tale sign is a tripped spill switch at the burner compartment, or a melted or scorched plastic screen on the intake at the furnace housing (single pipe sysytem). The reason the spill switch trips is because the ventor can't handle the extra volume of air being sucked into the exchanger through the separated halves, and some of the flue gases spill back into the burner area. The Goodmans used the same exchangers for a while. The fix is a new exchanger, and yes, the tech was right to shut you down. It's a hazard. Don't use it until it's fixed. Lastly, the wholesaler will charge your tech a handling fee unless they originally sold the furnace to him. Also ,expect to pay labour charges.

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

Guess who else used that heat exchanger? Lennox. When the rings first started popping/separating the fix was a bolt, nut and washer kit. This had to be done to the top, first ring of each heat exchanger cell BEFORE it popped loose. I never did that fix. Didnt seem right to me. I did however, see it on the Lennox's. They did this from the factory. Look at that first ring at the top and there's the bolt. It was common with the ICP's. Also found several secondarys where the plastic end collector would crack. One had a whole the size of my fist and never tripped the roll-out. It did however trash the camstat limit. Thats the only way I knew. It was cycling on/off on the high limit till it just failed completly. $500 is about 1/2 what I charge in warranty but I replace the primary and secondary while Im in there. "Your mileage may vary" Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Bubba wrote

Ya, you're right Bubba. Lennox did have a kit for that. And yes, the Keeprite secondarys were a pain in the ass (plastic ones). I've changed a few, and I always come away with a few cuts from the secondary fins. The telltale sign there is usually water in the blower housing or on the vestibule.Or like you said, also tripped limits. The new Keeprites aren't bad, but I wish they'd get rid of those f****ng door panel screws!

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

I believe KeepRite is an ICP product sold out of country...like Canada I think I remember seeing the sticker when I was at the factory in Lewisburg, TN ...some years back And ICP's as well as Janitrols (Goodman) were famous for popping rings. We install 44 GMP's in a complex in 1992 and replaced 31 of ht Xchangers already...the key is to run the gas pressure at about 2.8 and keep the damn filters clean. Last thing tenants do is change the filer if at all

Reply to
daytona°

"daytona°" wrote i

Yup...they own Carrier too.

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

Yup, the door screws suck big time. Remember when they changed the door screws from the ones that you couldnt get unscrewed because the pressed in bolt got loose and just kept turning? And now we have these new ones that suck just as bad. :-) I had a 10 ish year old Tempstar last week leaking water all over on the blower shelf and down in the blower area. Rusting out everything. They just moved into the house. I figured it was the plastic secondary. I pulled the limit swich out looking for popped rings or signs of water. None. I pulled the blower assembly and laid a big garbage bag inside the blower area and crawled my big ass in there. Started looking up through the secondary for the rings. Nothing. Got part of my hand and a mirror on top of the secondary and started scraping and brushing the top to see if I could push a loose ring out where I could see it. Nothing. I pulled the inducer assembly off and then pulled the "tommy gun" inducer housing piece loose. Looked into the end of the plastic secondary. No crack or breaks. Only place the water was coming from was the inducer housing itself. Two of the clips that hold the 2 inducer halves together were completely rusted away and the sealant failed. Put everything back together and installed a new inducer assembly. Good as new again. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Bubba wrote No crack or breaks. Only place the

Nice bit of detective work! I hope the new ones hold up better. I'm thinking of switching to York furnaces for my installs. but they're another half hour drive from me. If these new ones prove faulty, I'm giving up on Keeprite.

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

New ones work just fine. They went from that heat exchanger to a tubular. Good as new again. Anymore, they all suck. Too competitive so they all make them as cheap as they can. Pick your poison. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

United Technologies...(Carrier) owns ICP,but still (supposedly) a separate entity But when you get a Comfortmaker, Arcoaire, Tempstar or any other ICP A/C is has an add on Carrier liquid line drier with it And lately, ICP has been converting over to shit brain Carrier system

Reply to
daytona°

Carrier is actually involved in a class action suit right now. People are claiming they used some bad material in their earlier heat exchangers. Carrier disputes it, will be interesting to see who wins.

And as far as ICP heat exchangers go they are junk...if you don't find popped riglets or a cracked secondary, put your mirror inside the burner ports and look up on the inside, near the orange high temp silicone. You will usually find small "baby cracks". We are allowed to red tag and replace the heat exchanger just for that, even though there is no flame impingment or no carbon monoxide.

-Canadian Heat

--

--------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.7 Final Web @

Reply to