York vs. Luxaire vs. Keeprite vs. ??? Furnace

I'm in the process of getting a new furnace installed and so far the three brands that have been recommended to me have been York, Luxaire, and Keeprite. I've been told that York and Luxaire are virtually the same thing since Luxaire is made by York, but Luxaire is supposed to cost less. If anyone could provide me with some feedback about these brands that would be great ... are they good, bad, expensive to repair, etc. Or if there's other brands that you'd recommend let me know too.

Btw, I'm located in Ontario, Canada in case that's relevant. Also I'm most likely going to go with a standard 80% furnance since the repair costs for higher efficiency furnances don't seem to make them worth it.

Thanks, Harry

Reply to
Harry Muscle

Dr. Hardcrab

Most major mfgrs have a clone line. identical to the their first line but painted differently in order to give them a broader distrubution base without prostituting the primary brand name.

York is fair. Rheem is better. Carriers second line Bryant OK.

that other brand might be OK...I dont know it... they will all use the same brands of of components, gas valves, and fan motors. Rheem might have a japanese fan motor in it...that will be more reliable.

Phil Scott

Reply to
Phil Scott

FWIW, I put in a 92% Trane 3 yrs ago and have had no problems. At that time, I tried to research furnace reliability, but it is tough because it takes a while for problems to surface.

For example, Lennox had a big problem for a while with cracking heat exchangers. I presume that they have that fixed. Anyway, 3 years ago, I convinced myself that Carrier and Trane were the best and roughly equivalent, and that Lennox, York, Rheem, and Ruud were at least one cut below.

In Ontario, I have to believe that a 92% furnace is worth it, even if the maintenance is higher. What's your annual heating bill? 10% of that must be a fair chunk of change.

However you go, get a 2 speed furnace (i.e. with a 2 stage burner, and variable speed fan). The lower speed is very quiet.

Bill

Reply to
Mr_Bill

In the same boat albeit 8 years later. What did you end up getting and is it still running, and did it require any major service?

Reply to
Furnace novice

If you're in the same boat, lean over and ask Harry. We haven't seen him here in our boat in 8 years.

Reply to
trader_4