Cost comparison of DIY radiant heat vs professional gas furnace installation

I'm going to have to replace my furnace and hot water heater next year so I'm exploring some options. One of the biggest things I have to consider is up front cost and on going cost. Currently I have a forced air gas furnace and gas water heater.

I'm curious to know if replacing the furance with a radiant floor heating setup would be cheaper. I'm bascially looking for some ballpark, rough estimate answers that would tell me which of the following would be cheaper to install:

Option 1:

DIY radian heating where I run the pipes and do all other plumbing, but have a pro install the gas water heater that would heat both the house water and the floors. DIY installation of a blower unit for the air conditioner. (since there's no more furnace blower)

Option 2:

Have a pro install a new forced air gas furnace and a gas water heater. Connect the air conditioner to the new furnance blower.

I know prices vary depending on which modles, etc. I choose and provide different efficiency levels, but let's assume a mid quality/price/efficiency point for both systems. If the comments I receive point to the DIY radian floor heating installation being way cheaper I would do more research. If both options are pretty much on par, then I would probably just have a new furnace installed since I don't have to do as much work.

Btw, I'm located in Ontario, Canada.

Thanks for all the comments, Harry

Reply to
Harry Muscle

Don't post this shit in alt.hvac !!!!

Reply to
..p.jm

Since efficiency is your goal why even consider Mid efficiency. Your true cost is apples to apples the highest efficency of both. There will be likely no payback junking a good system for another. Even if you do the labor the materials are high. For your cheapest operating cost look into a 94% -95% VSDC zoneable furnace and putting the extra cash into upping R values

Reply to
m Ransley

Pricing over the net is not possible. Just my over head is XXXX, your local overhead is x.

$40,000 USD

$40,000 USD.

It's radiant, not radian. Wher are you going to get the tubing and controls?

Oh, and ignore Paul.

Reply to
HeatMan

Replacing the existing will be cheaper first cost by a wide margin. a high effiency furnace, 90% or better will be cheapest to run/

If you want AC in the bargain go for a split system heat pump instead of a gas furnace.

forget the radiant heat on a retrofit.

Phil Scott HVAC contractor since 1610

Reply to
Phil Scott

Forget about the so-called 'pros' who have demonstrated that they are CROOKS here.

Any DIY with average skills can do the same job for thousands less.

With rates as low as 5.8cents/kwh for electricity in Ontario consider ZONED baseboard heat. It is much cheaper than central Gas heating. My bills went from $1500/year to $300/year.

Reply to
Fred

Sounds like you could be paying only ~ 100.00 a year to heat your f****ng trailer using a heat pump if you was to zone said system.

Installation costs will vary, so suggest get at LEAST ten quotes, you fuckwad....

Now all's left is to ponder any business model that would routinely provides ten FREE quotes to idiots--hoping to get a single paying job....

Curious, what's a Canadian "dollar" worth these days, anyways ???

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Reply to
Fred

Reply to
Fred

Try xe.com moron

Reply to
Fred

Why should I ???

After all, it's not ME that wants any of your f****ng INFLATED currency.......

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

...Nope...

YOU blow me first, and then blow him, and then just MAYBE, I'll think about this shit seriously.

You f****ng top-posting idiot.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Maybe you and pjm should get a room at an HVAC gay grease-monkey conference.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Why?

I do it quite often....

Reply to
HeatMan

r i g h t.

How about the DIY that gets in to trouble? Then they'll come crawling to a pro to dig themselves out. What if the DIY kills themself or their family?

I work with DIY's quite a bit. The lay the tube and I do the hookups. Guarantted and warranteed job.

Reply to
HeatMan

Would the heat pump suggestion work in our lovely Canadian winters?

Thanks, Harry

Reply to
Harry Muscle

Post the details then.

Im sure its workable. Im just not so sure its cheaper on balance to own and operate than forced air in his case... expecially *if he wants air conditioning in the mix/

Phil Scott

Reply to
Phil Scott

Not below 25 def F or so, thats when you need to use the electric resistance or gas furnace back up, thats one of the reasons I recommended a *split system the indoor coil over the top of a gas fired furnace.

In your area below zero is common, but on an annual basis perhaps under 25F less than 20% of the yearly running hours.

Best design is to strategize for the predominate running condition with provisions to handle the extremes... none the less a local HVAC contractor should be consulted on the heat pump as I had recommended... they will have all the figures... how well your house is insulated is also an issue in that regard... and zonability.

Phil Scott

Reply to
Phil Scott

That sounds good. naturally zoned too.